Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is this big beast, for training, advertising/display, a fantasy 4th Reich item?

Article about: Greetings Gents, Well, the beast of all 98K Bayos arrived today. When the UPS man handed me the package and I felt its weight, (8 pounds) I was thinking to myself what the hell is this? Sure

Default What is this big beast, for training, advertising/display, a fantasy 4th Reich item?

Greetings all,

Saw this beast the other day and wanted to ask what this was made for? See the size comparisons between a regular sized Kar 98’s bayo and this one in the photos (it makes the regular sized bayonet appear to be a miniature letter opener). Seller believes it to be a “training bayonet,” however it looks (to me) more like some sort of display/advertising item, but being unmarked except for a 38’ Date and an obscure “W” it may very well not be.

I was wondering if any fellow bayonet collectors have seen something like this before or may know of a reference to it in one of their books. Pictures came from here VeteransFootlocker.com*Catalog New Items Thank you, for your time and thoughts.

Regards,

Lance

What is this big beast, for training, advertising/display, a fantasy 4th Reich item?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is this big beast, for training, advertising/display, a fantasy 4th Reich item?
    P
    Many

I don't know what it is, but I think I have found the rifle it belongs too
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this big beast, for training, advertising/display, a fantasy 4th Reich item?  

?

I believe it is an advertising piece. For the k98 collector it would be a center piece.

WOW...what a monster..she said

The construction and condition looks like an authentic item..and I agree also with Steve R. Looking forward to some information and comments on this one. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Gents, thank you for sharing your thoughts and picture

Regards,

Lance

?

I, like you, don't believe it to be a training aid, just doesn't make sense to build something that large for training purposes. After all, it is just a bayonet, not a machine gun. If it were a display or advertising piece, I would think it would be well marked by a manufacturer or retailer. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this in any of my references either.

My guess would be a very talented, and bored , metal worker showing off his talent or simply amusing himself. Even if it turns out not to be of the period, it is still well worth the money being asked. Try and have a machinist build you one for that price.

I would own it.

Jim

Its now on hold so I hope Lance secured it!!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Of course there is a chance it could be custom built for Kurt Zehe.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this big beast, for training, advertising/display, a fantasy 4th Reich item?  

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Its now on hold so I hope Lance secured it!!

Dan
    Hells yeah I did, Dan! Nowadays, if I see something I have not seen before I'll usually take a chance on purchasing the item. Over the years, I have missed out on too many pieces because while I was busy counting rivets... some more adventurous soul pulled the trigger and bought the item whilst I was deeply pondering the unponderable. At $400.00 it seemed a no-brainer. Hopefully, it turns out someone has a solid idea of the "why" behind this Frankenstein Bayonet. Perhaps the bayo is nothing more than just some weird fluke and nothing more. Having not seen one before in 30+ years of blade collecting I'll happily chuck it on the wall. Eventually, someone will know what it is. Perhaps, it was the property of a very large German soldier or an "experimental" bayonet for a howitzer

Regards,

Lance

* Just saw the large German Soldier picture, how appropriate!

?

Well, what ever it turns out to be, I'd say you done alright! I look forward to seeing some more pictures once you get it.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast