Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Wood to Bakelite handles

Article about: I've often wondered, when was the transition from wood to bakelite handles on the K98 Bayonet. ? Was there a specific year ? Gary J.

?

Question Wood to Bakelite handles

I've often wondered, when was the transition from wood to bakelite handles on the K98 Bayonet. ?
    Was there a specific year ?

Gary J.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wood to Bakelite handles
    P
    Many

Hi Gary...there is a sticky thread at the top of this forum..that one of the Top Bayo guys here.." Jim P " put together and breaking down the years of usage all the way into 1940. Alot of these bayos were recycled from the earlier years as he states in his thread...so...Im not going to sing his song as he would tell it better. Here is the link

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/k98-b...ii-era-398814/

Keep your eye on your thread..these guys here love to eat this stuff . Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

You give me too much credit Larry. Most things I know, I've gotten by listening to the real experts on the K98 bayonet, Andy, Fred and the like.

Wood grips started being replaced by bakelite in 1937 while some makers used up existing stocks of wood into 1939. Bayonets getting refinished by armorers sometimes had their grips replaced or switched, so that could add confusion to what grips at what time. Late in the war wood came back into use when bake lite wasn't available. At least that is what I remember. However, Andy has the largest record on K98 manufacturing, so if anyone would know the ins and outs of who, what, when and where, it would be him.

Jim

And when Timothy and Fred are not present...your listening ear and visual attention to study...fills in the void when needed. So yes..by participating and being on stand-by ready to give an answer is better than nothing said at all. I dont know everything there is to know ..and rely on those eyes and ears also.

Listen and study...from an expert...return and teach as an expert . Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Jim has given a good summary of much of the information that has been collected over the years. And AndyB is for me the "go to" guy for answers on the who did what and when questions - and much more. That said, in my experience 1938 is the date I generally use for the transition to black colored Bakelite, with the reason being that original (OEM) factory bayonets with Bakelite grips and 1937 dates are exceedingly scarce. With 1942 when we see the re-startng of wood grips coming from some major manufacturers. Circa 1943 the general introduction of the red colored Bakelite (with discernible wood chips as a filler), and in 1944 some switching that varies by maker. With the so-called "commercial" or non-Army governmental production another variable that does not always mirror what is seen with comparable German Army - Wehrmacht production. Best Regards, Fred

?

Thanks chaps ..... A most comprehensive answer.

Gary J.

?

Same like Frogprince mentioned, the late 1937 or 1938 is the change from wood to bakelit or generous term plastic grips, it depends from maker when he start using it, the wood grips were used on some export contracts still in the period post 1938, but by WaA proofed pieces, i believe 1942 is the year when large quantities of wood grips were used, that continued to end of war. there exist some makers that used only one material, some both.best regards,Andy