Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2nd Luft Eickhorn with a question.

Article about: Hi guys. Picked this dress dagger up very cheaply. In fact the hanger cost more. The story goes it was found hidden under a bundle of old news papers in a cellar. As you will see in the foll

mpw
    ?

Default 2nd Luft Eickhorn with a question.

Hi guys.

Picked this dress dagger up very cheaply. In fact the hanger cost more. The story goes it was found hidden under a bundle of old news papers in a cellar. As you will see in the following pictures there is evidence of damp damage so this could be quite true.

Interesting die flaw...

and now to the moisture damage and question...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd Luft Eickhorn with a question.
    P
    Many

mpw
    ?

One side of the pommel is quite corroded the other good....

Similar corrosion on the bands of the hanger.

When I went to investigate the staining on the to of the hand grip I was surprised to find the cause was a decaying rubber washer that has reacted with the celluloid grip. So the question is did manufacturers include a rubber washer or was this done by the owner perhaps when the pommel became loose and off line?

mpw
    ?

A few more photos showing evidence of hand finishing (file marks?) on the hand guard and a few of the hanger.

I've got a lovely condition Eickhorn Pommel for sale that would go great with that dagger!

mpw
    ?

It was your post of the pommel that prompted me into posting this dagger. I was tempted but I think it is a different type and I like to keep things original as possible. If it had a missing pommel I would have jumped at it.

Cheers, Mark.

Hello,

I do not think it is untouched find, wrabed in newspaper - this sound like fairy tale for little kids. Sorry about that Crossguard looks like textbook Eickhorn, but it is not, it was never use by Eickhorn! The pommel is also not Eickhorn, it is early type which we can se on for example Wingen daggers, but never on Eickhorn. Grip also do not match to Eickhorn, because it has copper twisted wire. Eickhorn used only springy aluminum wire. Scabbard is Generic type, also never used by Eickhorn.

So in my opinion somebody just switch blade, which was originaly with this dagger and put there nice and attractive Eickhorn blade. Or just put together dagger from various parts which came from different marker.

Best regards

Peter

mpw
    ?

Thanks Peter. It really cost nothing so will be a display piece in my collection until I find a replacement.

Hi, you are right, daggers is good looker. But I' m dagger type collector, so I' m not familiar with this kind of thinks. But I'm also sure that soon you will find nice textbook example to show with your collection so good luck with collecting and do not shy to ask here on forum for help before buying we will do our Best to help you

Best regards

Peter