Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF

Article about: Basic knowledge of the Here and Luftwaffe During their production, on the most Luftwaffe and Heer to them is putting a final finish. This layer of patina with time, and starting to get black

I've always liked the ornamentation on the top of the guards on these Luftwaffe's. It made for just a little bit extra touch to finish them off nicely. The Oakleaf hangers are a nice addition as well.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF
    P
    Many

I would like to add to the discussion on varying factory finishes on these Luft 2nd's, as said here different makers had different materials and finishes. Alcoso, as shown by Nordland was known for having a very black finish applied on there fittings, even on there later Heer daggers. Some were cleaned along the way so they no longer show this. SMF in my experience used aluminum based scabbard bands and hilt fittings with a burnish applied more in the recesses as shown here..VERY nice example showing the least amount of wear! Other makers such as Pack and a others offered thier daggers with silvered fittings that also had burnish applied to bring out the highlights..this was polished off sometimes too, and would get a very dark patina once the thin protective lacquer wore off or after polishing by the original officer or collectors. But as said, this SMF did not come with a silvered finish, so it will not darken as others will. I have a mid period Holler Luft 2nd that is BLACK! But it is very minty and this was a factory burnish that was on some Hollers and not on others..one thing this hobby will teach you about these daggers is that as soon as you accept a hard and fast rule, even about one makers product, another variation will appear!! Kevin.

Hi Kevin.....would you be able to post one of these Blackened scabbard examples? I have seen some darkened than normal ones..but not one that is black. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, Didn't mean to mislead you, The Holler I spoke of has black burnished hilt fittings, but the scabbard is a nickel plated version, actually quite rare in its own way...I will post a few pictures when I get some good light. Kevin.

Larry and other readers, Posting this Holler Luft under its own thread: Typical/Non Typical Holler 2nd Kevin.
    Last edited by Larry C; 01-25-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3