Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF

Article about: Basic knowledge of the Here and Luftwaffe During their production, on the most Luftwaffe and Heer to them is putting a final finish. This layer of patina with time, and starting to get black

Basic knowledge of the Here and Luftwaffe
    During their production, on the most Luftwaffe and Heer to them is putting a final finish.
    This layer of patina with time, and starting to get black.
    Of course, collectors think it is a little dirt?!- so clean it actually destroy rare layer.

On your dagger can see the remains of that layer - channel scabbard, wrinkled parts around the eagle, and recesses on pommel.
    But where the surface is flat, no patina - it's cleaned.

1. - Dagger with preserved finish or patina.
    (photo are not my property)
    2. - Your dagger - parts where it is preserved patina.
    3. - Also your dagger, where you can see clear traces of polishing.

Nordland
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF  
    Attached Images Attached Images 2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF  2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF
    P
    Many

?

Nordland, I think it would be fair to say that I have some 'basic knowledge' of these daggers and I don't agree with you on this piece. I will leave it at that.

Danny

Beautiful mint luftwaffe dagger!

Can you hear the arguments, what makes this dagger mint?
    I presented my.
    (please only without the anger and emotion, we're grown men)

Nordland

?

Ronnie and Panzertrooper, thanks a lot for your kind replies

Danny

?

Quote by Nordland14 View Post
    Basic knowledge of the Here and Luftwaffe
    During their production, on the most Luftwaffe and Heer to them is putting a final finish.
    This layer of patina with time, and starting to get black.
    Of course, collectors think it is a little dirt?!- so clean it actually destroy rare layer.

On your dagger can see the remains of that layer - channel scabbard, wrinkled parts around the eagle, and recesses on pommel.
    But where the surface is flat, no patina - it's cleaned.

1. - Dagger with preserved finish or patina.
    (photo are not my property)
    2. - Your dagger - parts where it is preserved patina.
    3. - Also your dagger, where you can see clear traces of polishing.

Nordland
    what are you trying to do? i think your a bit out of line.
    I have the luck to know Danny personaly, and i can asure you he is a person who has a lot of knowledge of what he is collecting.
    You do not do justice to him the way you reply.
    I dont know why your trying to piss him off, are you yealous?
    Just look over his posts and the stuff he's been posting, im sure you can learn a lot from this collector.

Ger

Wow,that's a beauty,i love that patina and gilding on pommel,just perfect,congrats

Stingray

With these 2nd Luftwaffe daggers alot of the coating varied by the maker and by the period..starting in 1937..until last produced..so much can happen during this process. yes it is true that some will appear blackened ...but also blue in appearance. The other view was depending upon the producer that not all carrying bands were coated which was left up to the producers discretion. some would match the shell or remain that aluminum color.
    As far as this dagger being Mint?...IMO time and usage has changed that thought..as possibly near mint as it is in great condition. Wear and usage also will show rub off points..or areas that look like they have been polished....OR..another thought is that..the owner himself could of possibly shined it up. Again..I reiterate..it all depended upon the producer and the process they used...or how they applied it.
    Not all Solingen steel was consistent with each other either..as the process of forging a blade had its impurities..which will show in some blade etches as pimpling...so now today those impurities help the collector to identify what producer commonly had this impure process. I liken my statement in regards to the process of the scabbard bluing...not all were the same.
    I would consider Mint to be never issued..OR...issued and went into a sock draw until present day. That to me IMO is Mint!!...near mint to excellent shows slight usage. Dannys grip did not come out of the factory pumpkin orange..that was years of sunlight changing the celluloid in toning color....so No..it is not Mint in that respect...but in near mint well kept condition.....Yes!
    No need to get upset anyone....as opinions have always driven this forum and all are welcomed.

Let me say this as a last example;.....who is to say that the original owner did not buff this down himself?...as we have seen with SA Tiger stripe grips..done by the owner himself to give it a nice "pizazz" look to it..and all done during the period. These are possibilities that need to be kept in mind. Great thread Gents
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

For Nordland: I collect Third Reich daggers for 15 years - from my childhood, some arguments which you said are right, but some other no. So I don´t agree with your opinion. First you have to study and improve your skills with these weapons. Please I don´t want to be offensive, it is only my advice.
    Regards peter

Ok..... Choice of one Gents.....good discussion?...One barmaid stays they other leaves....bad discussion...One barmaid stays the other leaves...and then one that stays for the bad discussion will service your needs......which you might regret.

So lets enjoy a beer together and continue a good discussion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF  
    Attached Images Attached Images 2nd model luftwaffe dagger by SMF 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast