Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Dagger Preservation

Article about: Hi, I have a Nazi dagger in my collection and have recently started to notice minor rusting. I am wondering what you guys suggest to "oil" the dagger to preserve it. I come from a

Default Dagger Preservation

Hi,

I have a Nazi dagger in my collection and have recently started to notice minor rusting. I am wondering what you guys suggest to "oil" the dagger to preserve it. I come from a US military background where CLP "solves" every single rust problem, but I don't think its the best option here.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dagger Preservation
    P
    Many

?

Perhaps a photo would help to see the type of dagger and the amount and effects of the rust

Quote by davejb View Post
    Perhaps a photo would help to see the type of dagger and the amount and effects of the rust
    I agree with Dave.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Phil i always put renwax on all my daggers, and never had any problems with rust, museums use this for protecting a lot of there gear, you can buy it on ebay,
    cheers Ronnie
    Last edited by 85ronnies; 11-08-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Dagger PreservationDagger PreservationDagger PreservationHi,

Here are some quick photos. Thanks for the help!

Phil

?

To be honest these look like finger marks that have been left without cleaning them off when handled, I see other fingerprints on the metal, fingerprints contain oils and acid that can eat into the metal, it is very slight at the moment, wipe the blade with a clean dry cloth, then use Ronnie's suggestion of Renwax, and restrict your handling of the blade, apply the wax periodically

It's a second pattern luftwaffe dagger just incase you didn't know. The suggestions given for preservation are spot on. Doing anything more will probably only hurt the dagger, and destroy its value.

Fingerprints if left unchecked will become like a tattoo....but in the case of metal vs fingerprints...this is not removable. Wipe it down good as advised above. This dagger appears to be an SMF maker..."seated King trademark...correct me if I am wrong. What is the name on the back of the crossguard? Is there a scabbard? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill