Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.

Article about: I have been offered the dagger featured in the photo's. I have not seen it in the flesh so to speak. The seller has told me he has done some searching around on the net and with various deal

Default Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.

I have been offered the dagger featured in the photo's. I have not seen it in the flesh so to speak. The seller has told me he has done some searching around on the net and with various dealers and has been told that its extremely rare and worth a lot of money. He is looking for around 10k, to me this sounds crazy money. But if you would have a look at the photo's and let me know what you think it would be much appreciated. I buy nice daggers when I see them and this could be worth the money he's talking.... but is it?
    All the best,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.   Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.  

Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.   Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.  

Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.
    P
    Many

Krebs are known for their etching. This one has been cleaned and a lot of the greying in the etch has been lost. From these photos alone, I believe this one to be an original. Is it worth that much, only if you want it that badly.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Well here is my go at it. YES! Tough to find this maker of the 1st Model Luft Dress Dagger which is true. It looks to be in nice condition. Believe this is middle period and they used pot metal in mounts but plating looks still to be good.. Swastikas have lost a bit of their gold gilded finish. The blade is in great shape. I personally have 2 etched blades in my collection and both are Eickhorns which have the deepest and best etch for TR blades. This etch could be fine but it looks shallower to me which again might be okay with this maker. I know Krebs also is known for their etching as well. The halo effect around the recesses of the engraving is very uniform and dfiferent from my deeper etched Eickhorns that don't have the halo / ghosting around them. This might be what Ralph was noticing too. I have passed on many etched blades over the years and only settled on two Eickhorns. The price? 10k does seem crazy high but nothing surprises me anymore. Did the dagger belong to a high ranking Luftwaffe Officer, Is the price what it is due to dagger maker rarity or is it so high due to an etched blade? Those are my thoughts and opinions for the seller and you as you consider the piece. You will find this kind of price on the dealer sites most likely. For me who has 33 edged weapons over 30 years and has not bought much from dealers I would have a hard time shelling out 10k. It does look to be a nice piece. I would see what Larry C, Gerrit, Big Ned and the other blade boys think. I could be wrong in my conservative and cautious view here. Just 10k is tough in my eyes to justify for a 1st model Luft.
    Last edited by Rossi; 11-18-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Your quite right the price is up in the clouds as far as I can tell. I just want to be certain i am not missing anything before I give it a miss and buy something thats worth the money being asked for it.
    D

?

D,

Did a little digging for you. This is one for sale currently on Consignment for $19,995.00. Description is below. Photos are attached.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.   Engraved 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger.  

Hi Rossi,
    I believe the seller is basing his price on this dagger as he has just emailed me more or less what you have posted here. In my book if its made the website then the collectors of daggers whose names he has in his little black address book have turned it down and so it went on the website..... and its still there. I think that better items with maybe a name or proven provenance can be found for that sort of money as nice as it unquestionably is. Thanks for your input, but I don't think I will be buying this one.
    All the best,
    D

?

Happy to help D. Sorry for all the detail I posted as I know it was a a lot but hoping it was helpful. Guess I am happy with the Paul Weyersberg 1st model luft in my collection I got years ago for $600. A price tag of $10K and the etched blade would have me up all night and the wife wondering what is up with my head. I like the earlier pieces. Nothing against the mid period pot metal variety but just could not ever drop that kind of dough on it. See what others say as well. I could be way off in my opinions. I think your wise to check it all out for certain.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Hi Rossi,
    I believe the seller is basing his price on this dagger as he has just emailed me more or less what you have posted here. In my book if its made the website then the collectors of daggers whose names he has in his little black address book have turned it down and so it went on the website..... and its still there. I think that better items with maybe a name or proven provenance can be found for that sort of money as nice as it unquestionably is. Thanks for your input, but I don't think I will be buying this one.
    All the best,
    D

Rossi,
    There's never too much detail, as one snippit may just be the key to the whole thing in this game. The more we know and more we learn the lass mistakes we should make.... so they say.
    Thanks once again.
    D

?

I just found another 1st Model Luft on another dealer site for $20,000. Same engraving luft pattern on blade but by maker Emil Voos. Cheers! Just returning the favor as you gave me some nice feedback on the artillery measurement device the other day. Iron sharpens Iron. This forum is a good one for sure with great people such as yourself.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Rossi,
    There's never too much detail, as one snippit may just be the key to the whole thing in this game. The more we know and more we learn the lass mistakes we should make.... so they say.
    Thanks once again.
    D

I have been a member of a few sites, but this is the one where I feel the happiest. People are here to help, rather than to out do or just be plain stupid. Other forums would do well to see how its done properly. Its always good to help fellow collectors... we all benefit that way. And I was glad to help you the other day, and what goes around comes around. Good info on the dagger.
    D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast