Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Model Luftwaffe Dagger

Article about: Thanks for the cleaning tips Larry, I feel the same way as you as I do not like the yellowed look oil leaves on the blade as I want it to look like it did in the 1930s. The blade is not make

Default First Model Luftwaffe Dagger

I just wanted to share with everyone one of my favorite items in my collection, my luftwaffe first model dagger. The dagger was brought back by a friend of my grandfather that is now deceased that was in the US Army infantry, he traded his rations of cigarettes for this dagger an a few others I have that I will post later. This is one of the things that got me started collecting. A few years ago when the dagger was given to me, as an ignorant teenager I oiled the blades with gun oil, this was before I knew any thing of Renaissance Wax or the War Relics Forum. I was also wondering what is the best way to preserve the original finish on the fitting as alot of the other first model Luftwaffe daggers I have seen pommels and cross gaurds have a faded washed out look to them, would it be a good idea to use renaissance wax on the fittings also or it there something else that is better? Cheers, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Model Luftwaffe Dagger   First Model Luftwaffe Dagger  

First Model Luftwaffe Dagger   First Model Luftwaffe Dagger  

First Model Luftwaffe Dagger   First Model Luftwaffe Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement First Model Luftwaffe Dagger
    P
    Many

Default Re: First Model Luftwaffe Dagger

What a super example.

I think you need do nothing to it, other than wax the blade.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Indeed, from the photos it looks mint and untouched - very clean example !
    If you keep the blade lightly coated, you will not have to do anything
    other than appreciate it's beauty.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Oh you lucky man!! brilliant example of a fine dagger like the guys say just keep it waxed
    thanks for showing,
    cheers Ronnie

?

What a fabulous example !! The use of aluminium on variations of this dagger make it look like it came out of the factory yesterday , staggering
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks for the kind words Ade, Steve, Ronnie and Allen. I am going to wax it this evening! It there any thing I should put on it to remove all the old oil residue before waxing? Thanks, Robert

I would degrease the blade with some rubbing alcohol or the like, let it completely dry, then apply the wax sparingly with the clean cloth. Then lightly buff.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Methelated spirit is good but dont let it on the grip Robert
    cheers Ronnie

Oops Ade already said

Thanks, Ade and Ronnie your help is much appreciated! Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert very nice!!! There is collectors preference when either leaving oil on or off. My opinion as Im not an "oil" fan unless there is some deep frying going on in the kitchen I feel trying to apply wax on top of an oil surface will not lay well,, just like waxing a car. If you still have oil on the blade ,, what I do to avoid using cleaners and abrasives is get a few clean rags preferably cotton and wipe the blade until you see the oil smear disappear,, this may take a few times of rubbing and after that like Ade has said,,, is a Ren Wax treatment. I do this once a year with my blades.
    What is the maker on this aluminum model?....I like these little details

Can anyone elaborate on when the aluminum fittings started and who were theses aluminum daggers reserved for? Its an interesting transition. As by this time the 2nd model had already came out. Here are 3 Luftwaffe examples ,, Aluminum variety 1938......2nd model Luft 1937.....and the Nickel variety 1934-35

BTW these photos are used for reference purposes only and I make no claim to them nor do I own these daggers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First Model Luftwaffe Dagger   First Model Luftwaffe Dagger  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast