Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for help

Article about: Hi guys, here is one luftwaffe sword which is marked by WMW Waffen and it was told to me it is middle production sword after nickle and before aluminium types. I was trying to find similar o

?

Default Fliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for help

Hi guys,
    here is one luftwaffe sword which is marked by WMW Waffen and it was told to me it is middle production sword after nickle and before aluminium types. I was trying to find similar on net but I was not successfull. I would like to ask you for help to identify if it is good original piece or fake. And in case it is good one is it more rare than other types of this sword? Every opinion is welcome. Thank you, Mike.

Fliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for helpFliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for helpFliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for helpFliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for helpFliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for helpFliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for helpFliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fliegerschwert by WMW Waffen - ask for help
    P
    Many

Interesting Summation from what was told to you..my question is..what metal type was used between Nickel and aluminum with these swords. I dont remember seeing Pot metal examples..and these swords were crafted with better use of metals.

Im seeing brass Medallions inlaid into Aluminum fittings. Wait for more opinions..as I have not seen this combination before. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

a very interesting version.

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Interesting Summation from what was told to you..my question is..what metal type was used between Nickel and aluminum with these swords. I dont remember seeing Pot metal examples..and these swords were crafted with better use of metals.

Im seeing brass Medallions inlaid into Aluminum fittings. Wait for more opinions..as I have not seen this combination before. Regards Larry

Hi Larry,
    Yes you are right. Brass medaillons into alluminium fittings. But is it ok? Is the wmw producer of luftwaffe swords?
    Mike

Hi Mike..thats why Im waiting for other thoughts on this mainly from the Luft guys. I will keep this thread at the top until we get some concrete answers . Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I have done some research and WMW is a maker of LW swords, however trying to locate one to compare with your is a headache...but the search is on

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 10-05-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Quote by Larry C View Post

A good observation, offhand I don't remember seeing anything other than nickel silver or aluminum for the swords either. But for the 1st model daggers the order is nickel silver, aluminum, and zinc (hilts) last which have been silver plated to conceal the base metal. With the upper scabbard mount here showing a base metal with plating loss? So could this hybrid version be a late model using what was available at the time? Best Regrds, Fred

Interesting piece, it reminds me of the Pack Luft 1st daggers that are constructed like this.. aluminum with brass or nickel disks. Cant remember off hand if Pack built their swords like that too? Kevin.

According to Wittmanns book of Luftwaffe Daggers, near the beginning of 1937 there was also a pot metal based design having lightly silvered surfaces. So this would fall inbetween solid nickel and Aluminum, I have seen one like this for sale before, being described as a pot metal version, I am not sure if it was a WMW but I would feel very confident labeling this one as being all original.

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    According to Wittmanns book of Luftwaffe Daggers, near the beginning of 1937 there was also a pot metal based design having lightly silvered surfaces. So this would fall inbetween solid nickel and Aluminum, I have seen one like this for sale before, being described as a pot metal version, I am not sure if it was a WMW but I would feel very confident labeling this one as being all original.
    With all due deference to Mr. Wittmann I think that he got it wrong. Zinc was the one metal that the Germans did not have in short supply. Nickel silver which is roughly 2/3 copper was one of the first period documented restricted metals (copper) circa 1935. With aluminum needed for aircraft production for the Luftwaffe, and Goering making speeches about the shortfall in the materials necessary for the military buildup. So using Tom Wittmann's scenario - all of the later period daggers, dress bayonets, swords etc. should have aluminum hilts instead of zinc?? Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast