Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Gravity knife - Producer or distributor

Article about: I pulled this one out of the classifieds as the ad was outdated and ready to bin. I have seen many Gravity knives and most commonly found are the SMF producer...but this particular knife has

Default Gravity knife - Producer or distributor

I pulled this one out of the classifieds as the ad was outdated and ready to bin. I have seen many Gravity knives and most commonly found are the SMF producer...but this particular knife has a Violin on the blade and a name I can not seem to identify. Any thoughts to an Identity..or a distributor? Regards Larry

Gravity knife - Producer or distributor Gravity knife - Producer or distributor

Gravity knife - Producer or distributor
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gravity knife - Producer or distributor
    P
    Many

Hi Larry,
    I believe this is a British produced copy of the Luft. gravity knife.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Produced by George Ibberson & Co.Ltd. Sheffield. Rarest of the rare

Hello Mr Larry and Mr. Ralph. I found this one online. It is a British made knife based off the ww2 German version. Hope this helps. Best regards.

Brian

Cairn Castle Militaria – Irish Swords, Masonic collectables and more.

Rare and expensive! I have only handled a couple of these in over 35 years of collecting.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

So it can turn into reality: a copy gets rare and wanted after all, this copy is even quite expensive

It was nice reading the former post about this knife, a first time for me!
    Thx for sharing.

Regards,
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 03-25-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Some information to move forward to accompany this Rare Gravity knife by WRF member Reibert.

Quote by Reibert View Post

The charge for manufacturing this clone of the Wehrmacht-Luftwaffe 1937-pattern gravity knife was accorded to the cutlery-factory of George Ibberson & Co.Ltd., Sheffield.
    Contracting authority: "Experimental Station 6", (an appropriate subbranch of the Ministry of supply), responsible for placing of orders for equipment for commando-troops.

The first consignment had an size of order of 30.000 pcs., (no makers marks, stamped upon the blade !), others followed, (the logo of the maker, a violin, the lettering of the maker and C.O.S.D., for Command Supply Depot, and a number, stamped upon the blade).

Also the company of Joseph Rogers in Sheffield was charged to manufacture such gravity knives.

Ibberson and Rodgers manufactured app. 150.000 pcs., (quantity not confirmed), of this gravity knife.

Source:
    DWJ, (Deutsches Waffenjournal 12/2002).
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

A small correction here.

The definition of "C.O.S.D." is wrong. It actually stands for "Combined Operations Stores Dept."

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!