Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

hat 1942 knife strange scabbard

Article about: hello i have an pportunity to buy the attached knife,but i have few doubts i didnt seen this type of scabbard earlier,everyone was seen with the two springs. also the knife seems to be witho

Default hat 1942 knife strange scabbard

hello i have an pportunity to buy the attached knife,but i have few doubts
    i didnt seen this type of scabbard earlier,everyone was seen with the two springs.
    also the knife seems to be without the luft and any other waffenamts,what do You think aobut it?the knife and scabbrds seem to be a weel made pieces but maybe i,m wrong.sorry for providing so uch photos
    best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture hat 1942 knife strange scabbard   hat 1942 knife strange scabbard  

hat 1942 knife strange scabbard   hat 1942 knife strange scabbard  

hat 1942 knife strange scabbard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement hat 1942 knife strange scabbard
    P
    Many

Default Ummmnnn I'd say don't buy it.

Greetings,

These "HAT 42" marked Luftwaffe Fighting Knives appeared about 10 years ago. They are post war creations and not anything "original" or contemporary to WWII. Scabbard may be real, but when I see a fake piece I stop looking at the lot. Notice too, how pristine, specifically how un-dented the handles are when compared to the severe weathering of the metal parts. This is a knife you don't want to own, if you are collecting original WWII pieces.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. There is a collector's book that lists these as legitimate WWII manufactured pieces, don't you believe it.

P.S.S. And here's a website where an un-weathered knife with the more typical scabbard as you have mentioned may be currently purchased http://www.zib-militaria.de/Trench-d...Wehrmacht-WWII

thank You Lance for saving my money
    can You tell what reaction use the fakers to gain this type of corrosion,for me looks godd especially on the crossguard

"Can You tell what reaction use the fakers to gain this type of corrosion,for me looks good especially on the crossguard?"

Not sure, likely, some corrosive/acidic wash or possibly some combination of that and cold bluing. I agree, they know how to age metal in a fairly decent manner. Fortunately, the bogus ricasso's marking warns us from being taken in.

Best,

V/r Lance

I cant figure out why the fakers would go to a great length to ruin a fighting knife that already are just a few hundred dollars and devalue it further.

Maybe it was just a test piece of fake aging ?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I agree. I've always regarded the "hat 1942" as a reproduction and the patina we see here is odd and looks contrived. Scabbard could come from another knife. Not one worth pursuing due to known doubts.

thank You for response,one more piece that i will be aware in the future
    best regards

?

I confirm Anderson.
    Kind regards