Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hermann Göring hunting knife "den 3 nov 1937"

Article about: Hello Folks, Another one of my recently inherited collection of what are mainly fakes for you to view. Even I can recognise this as a very probable fake but I must admit the others did have

Default Hermann Göring hunting knife "den 3 nov 1937"

Hello Folks,

Another one of my recently inherited collection of what are mainly fakes for you to view. Even I can recognise this as a very probable fake but I must admit the others did have me fooled.

I hope the photographs I have uploaded are of use to people who may stumble upon them before rushing in and buying a fake knife/dagger in the belief it is a genuine historical artefact.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hermann Göring hunting knife "den 3 nov 1937"
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hermann Göring hunting knife "den 3 nov 1937"

This one is a bit outside my comfort zone, as i have never collected these, but I believe it to fake too.

Reason: poor quality eched blade, if this was from Goring the quality would have been excellent.

Other will be able to add more. As I said, not really my thing.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

In the photo showing the makers mark you can see the poor quality of the blade and rough execution of the makers mark itself. I agree it's most likely a fake. Is the handle real antler or plastic?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

The handle is definitely not plastic. It seems to made from ivory or something similar.

The blade on this, as with most of the others I have shown are smeared with some kind of grease, probably to prevent rust. I have not attempted to polish any of them but I might have a go to see how they look.

I still have three different HJ daggers to upload yet. Each one differs fro the other and I will upload them for you to view in the near future.

?

If it's not plastic it will be made from Red Deer antler, definitely not ivory.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

100% agree with the above, some of the castings are to rough, scabbard is brand new, bad MM on blade if you can get a hot pin you would be able to stick it into the handle and should be able to smell burning plastic??? or antler
    cheers Ronnie

?

Although this and the other daggers shown are very probable replicas i think it might be better if you were to clean the blades by removing the grease, in this particular case the etching needs to be shown in a clearer condition, as the grease is interfering with the marks, however i would say that as fakes go this is quite an elaborate one and one ive not seen before, it certainly doesnt match the hunting daggers of Goring in flamboyance but its not a common fake either, as a curio it would display well

?

at least they took the time to use a real example of a Clemen& Jung Hirschfänger etching in their creation, this way this etching looks a bit "genuine" compare the bottom of the etching to the one on the link below:
    I miss the great detailed eagle that a presentation one would have, although i've never seen this type of hirschfänger before, i most state, and the picture vof the eagle is not a sharp detailed one.
    Otherwise this posted one doesn't seem to have the craftmanship that the one has that Johnson displays:
    http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com...ifle/25863.htm

Some better pictures of the blade with the grease wiped off. I have not yet tried the hot pin test for the handle as suggested by Ronnie, but I will let you know the result when I do.

?

Please give us a close view of the big crossguard eagle, its casting will give us a clean answer....it seems very rough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast