Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.

Article about: Hi, I have just become a WRF Club member and this is my first post. I have this Luftwaffe 1st pattern by Eickhorn and would like some opinions on it specially the detachable chains which I h

Default Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.

Hi, I have just become a WRF Club member and this is my first post. I have this Luftwaffe 1st pattern by Eickhorn and would like some opinions on it specially the detachable chains which I have seen before on a early Eickhorn Luft 1st and also in T. Whittmann's "Exploring the Dress Daggers of the German Luftwaffe" book on page 58, are these quite scarce? Also the pommel has no gilt to swastikas but also is not a brass centre it appears to be nickel or is it brass with nickel plate? I would like to know if it's original to the dagger or added later, it has been knocked off centre at some point in it's life and the tang may be bent but try as I may it will not unscrew it is stuck fast and looks to have been like that for many years. Any comments welcome. Cheers, Andy.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome Andy.

Wish I could answer but beyond my knowledge. The dagger geeks should be around shortly to help you out!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Andy,

about the clips there is no one that can confirm this was made in wartime, or if it was a later addition because of a snapped link.
    I have seen a couple along the years and the clips vary, so no consistancy there and therefore it makes me hard to believe that this was an Eickhorn option.

About the pommel, are you sure this isnt an inlayed disk type?
    Please look at it closely were i marked it, it looks like a raised edge.
    Gilt is easily worn..

Ger

Hi, Firstly thanks for the welcome Map, love your signature by the way so true! Thanks for your comments Ger this is what's confusing me as it does look to me like a separate disc insert with no gilding but surely then the brass would show underneath at least where there is wear on the silver/nickel plate or were some inserts made of solid nickel with just gilt applied to the swastikas? I thought early inserted disc type pommels had the disc insert made of solid brass that was silvered then gilded? It has been suggested on a different forum that this is a mid period single piece nickel pommel with worn away gilt but as observed it does look like a separate centre piece. I attach another photo that shows the raised lip you pointed out. Many thanks, cheers, Andy.

?

I wonder, as the added clips on such examples vary, if they were a personal modification affected by the original owner, simply for convenience; Enabling the wearer to simply disconnect the dagger without having to fiddle about removing it from the tunic’s internal suspension strap, as with the Heer and Kriegsmarine types.

Hi Kohima, I think you could be right though the clips on mine do match the ones in Whittmann's book and the ones I saw in a forum post can't remember which forum it was it might have even been this one, the only reason I mentioned the Eickhorn connection was because the other two examples just mentioned were both observed on early Eickhorn 1st patterns. But guess we will never really know the truth about them. Regards, Andy.
    Quote by Kohima View Post
    I wonder, as the added clips on such examples vary, if they were a personal modification affected by the original owner, simply for convenience; Enabling the wearer to simply disconnect the dagger without having to fiddle about removing it from the tunic’s internal suspension strap, as with the Heer and Kriegsmarine types.

Hi again, Just found the post I saw about a luft 1st with these detachable clips and it is on this forum, here is a link to it: Early 1st pattern Luftwaffe dagger variation

?

Here is an untouched 1st model Luft with the same trademark. Compare the components on your dagger with this. I.E. pommel, crossguard, scabbard leather, etc
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.   Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.  

Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.   Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.  

?

It’s looking like a design option, available for a little extra...?

Hello, here is my early variation of Eickhorn chain, hard to find "S" clips, which are mostly see on DLV daggeres made by Weyersber, Eickhorn or even others..

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.   Luftwaffe 1st with detachable chains.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast