Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener

Article about: Hello all, here is the latest edition to my collection... Long story but this was a private sale and I thought that I was buying a full sized dagger!! Anyway through the post came this littl

Default Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener

Hello all,
    here is the latest edition to my collection...
    Long story but this was a private sale and I thought that I was buying a full sized dagger!!

Anyway through the post came this little chap. When I got back to the seller and asked about his description he said he had found a picture of a similar one on the net and that is where he got his description from.
    Well I just had to keep it.

Made me chuckle.

My apologies if it is the wrong forum but this one seemed the most appropriate.

Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener

Doug

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener
    P
    Many

The blade is a little tatty and the pommel Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Openerat the top is twisted out of line.

Dagger knot has been stnapped at one point but I am led to believe that this was used by the vet 'liberator' on his office desk till recently.

Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener

No dealers name on the blade unless it has been polished off?

Hi Saladin..you are in the correct forum..and most Luft collectors would desire these so called letter openers...when they are really salesmens examples. This wwill alomost cost the same as a full size 2nd Lufts..because of desirability. This is a nice find..and hard to come by more so than its big brother. Thanks for sharing this. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Wonder if it ever had wire wrap on the grip ?

Nice piece regardless - and as Larry says,
    very desireable to Luft collectors.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Doug,
    Great mini Luftwaffe 2nd model! Nice bonus to have the the knot even in its current state. The wire is missing on the handle. Do not attempt to take apart btw because the threads on the blade can be stripped very easily.
    Anzel

Great advice Anzel ...something to remember
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Wonder if it ever had wire wrap on the grip ?

Nice piece regardless - and as Larry says,
    very desireable to Luft collectors.........
    Hello Steve,
    I don't think this one did have any wire.
    I have had a good look through a glass and can't see where it would have terminated at the end nearest the hilt.

All the best
    Doug

Thank you for the positive comments Larry.
    I have had a couple of these little daggers in the past and let them go on their way as I never really was an edged weapon collector.
    I am suprised that you value them around the same price as a normal sized dagger. I always assumed that they were given out as a free sample by the salesman.
    This one doesn't seem to be of too high a quality.
    I have one knocking around still in it's presentation case (but sadly it has been denazified) which seems to be of better quality if my memory serves me correctly.

It is a pity that the makers didn't mark these up with a makers logo as that would be a great little collecting niche.

Thank you for the advice Anzel,
    I was tempted to put it in a vice and try twisting the pommel around to the correct position but decided to leave it as it is.

It will only end up in a box now the hunt and chase is over.

Best regards
    Doug

Doug, This example is made by SMF (Solinger Metallwaren Fabrik). I have had them in the past and mine were maker marked. All examples I have seen did have the grip wire. Indeed nice to have the portopee, not an often seen accessory! Here are a few pics of one I had.. Best, Kevin.

Luftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter OpenerLuftwaffe 2nd Pattern Dagger....Letter Opener

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast