Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe close combat knife

Article about: Hi Guys, I have a couple of these, which I will share with you here. I see Dave has one also, so perhaps Dave you can add yours into this thread too The first one shown here has a bayonet fr

Default Re: Luftwaffe close combat knife

Hi "FP", very nice to see you here. Welcome!

The knife is a very good fit into the scabbard. I have never seen another one like it before. I tried it in a K98 frog and it fits OK but as you can most likely see, the stud on the scabbard is situated lower down than on a K98 scabbard.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe close combat knife
    P
    Many

Ade, Thank you for the welcome!!

I like the knife, and am wondering if it could have been something of a trials or test piece? It’s obvious I think that they did not want to use the WW I style leather strap scabbard hanging contraptions. And might have been testing alternative approaches to the problem?

As a non-German analogy: The scabbards for the U.S. M-3 fighting knife, and its successor the M-4 bayonet went through an evolutionary process. From the M-6 leather scabbard which was unsatisfactory. To the M-8 plastic, the M-8 modified, and finally the M-8A1.

No proof, but not IMO an unreasonable hypotheses at this juncture. Given what seems to be a fairly high standard of manufacture from what I can see in the images.

Best Regards, FP

Hi "FP", I will shoot a few extra pics of the scabbard for you tommorrow

Cheers, Ade.

Here are the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe close combat knife   Luftwaffe close combat knife  

Luftwaffe close combat knife   Luftwaffe close combat knife  

dave
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dave, sorry but you are wrong here, as both my knives came from Canadian Vets 25 years ago now.

Cheers, Ade.
    Adrian just because it comes from a vet it dous not mean its right with these items.Haw many times i have seen this going on .Like i said its only my opinion.Dont trust no one my friend make your own mind up and i say to that to all on here.

Hi Dave, don't worry I do share your sentiments.

But 25 years ago these knives were not faked.

Cheers, Ade.

dave
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Dave, don't worry I do share your sentiments.

Cheers, Ade.
    Adrian thank u most kind.I not here to be an expert but if u read between the lines in all my threads im here to share opinians lots of times i am wrong but can i just say most of my posts have come from vets and family but i never trust anything because fakes were being brought back in 1945

dave
    ?

Quote by dave View Post
    Adrian thank u most kind.I not here to be an expert but if u read between the lines in all my threads im here to share opinians lots of times i am wrong but can i just say most of my posts have come from vets and family but i never trust anything because fakes were being brought back in 1945
    not faked YES they are i have sean lots of them in uk arms fairs adrian

Ade, I liked it before. And am still of the same opinion, thanking you for posting these new images which are very helpful. The standard of workmanship (more or less) mirrors what is seen with contemporary bayonet scabbards, with nothing noticeably out of place.

Something I was not quite sure about earlier was the type of finish, which as I can now see is bluing, that looks like it is worn in a few places. When I get to my primary computer I will look at the images again to see if I can tell what type it is that might help dating.

My overall impression is (as we sometimes say): You have a “keeper” with that one. With my Best Regards, FP

Hi "FP", thanks for your comments. I keep everything

Hi Dave, I am fully aware of the Indian made repros which you can now find at shows. But if you re read what I said, I was saying that these knives were not copied over 25 years ago.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast