Scott

Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version by Tiger

Last edited by avenger; 07-26-2014 at 05:57 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe dagger 2nd version by Tiger
    P
    Many

Anyone see anything off about this one where I wouldn't want to pick it up?

It's original but the blade has some spotting issues that are distracting, in my opinion as does the sheath and the hangers are in rough condition. These daggers originally had gilding on the swastikas and there are no signs of it showing from what I can see in the photos. It's difficult to tell from the photos, but it appears that the leather throat washer is no longer present either. For the money, I think a person could do better. I guess it depends on how minty you want it to look. The plating and finishes on these Luftwaffe's are rarely found intact, as they were applied thin and wore quickly-not to mention the metal reaction absorbing it as well. This dagger, although made by the desirable Tigerwerks, would not be for me. It always pays to wait until you have found the Best that you can and invest in them. They may cost more, but the better they are-the better they will hold their values and increase over the years ahead. Common every day stuff will always be around.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hmmm. Thanks Wagriff! I was thinking this one was in pretty good condition, so this is good info.

I have been looking into these daggers while trying to evaluate this one. I've seen the gilding you're talking about, but since it only seemed to be present on them here and there, I suspected it may be some sort of variation. It would appear I suspected wrong. :/

I'll keep looking at the examples here, and try to absorb as much info as possible. Is there a comparable site for Lufty daggers, similar to Tom Kindall's site or wardaggers.com? Perhaps there's one on the forum partner links list, if I can find that again...

Have you tried checking out Wittmann's?
    William

Just did. Thanks! That guy seems to have a lot of stuff. I recall his name before, I think he compiled a book(s) many folks here like to use didn't he?

Thomas T. Wittmann does, indeed, know quite alot about the hobby. And, yes, he did write a book! In fact, he has several-one for each branch of the German military-Army, Navy, Luftwaffe and SS. Not cheap, but full of information.
    William

?

You could also check out Lakesidetrader's website. He has good stuff too and his prices are fair.
    When it comes to gilding, in my experience far most 2nd model luftwaffe daggers are found without it. It seems only SMF found a way to apply the gilding in such a way that it didn't wear of easily.

Danny
    Last edited by dr73; 07-27-2014 at 02:56 PM.