Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model

Article about: Another find from the estate I am trying to sort through. Looks to be a 1st Model Luftwaffe Dagger with engravings in the blade. I am no expert but the fishy part is the engravings in the bl

Default Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model

Another find from the estate I am trying to sort through. Looks to be a 1st Model Luftwaffe Dagger with engravings in the blade. I am no expert but the fishy part is the engravings in the blade in my opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model

Blade looks fake to me as I have never seen a logo from EP that looks like that, so I would assume the whole blade is bad.
    I do like the rest of it from what I can see.
    I also am not up on these as others so I look forward to other replies.
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Ive seen that same type etching on bayonets, but never on a luft blade, and I never saw an EP logo like that either, it may just be an early one......or fake, lets see what the experts say.

I did a little research and found this thread on WAF about Pack logos and etched blades. Read post #27.
    Did Ernst & Pack use different trade marks? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Good logo info here...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...uDZmmN_BmBh_-g....
    This etch is new to me.
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I think all of us are on the same page here....I have to agree with Eric on the logo looking not what it should be....as the hammer head is missing from the logo compared to the standard Pack logo. As there were 5 logo types..2 of which had the halo surrounding the Siegfried figure.
    1st model Luftwaffe pack daggers are authentic but very scarce to find. I also can not see the triple wire wrap on the grip in the photo and the swaz medallions do not look inset. This dagger is very salty looking so its hard to judge the medallions because of all the dirt. below is apic of the standard Pack logo the same as the one used in Plutonuis example,,,except the hammer head is missing on his example and it should not be missing as this type logo did not vary..compared to the other 4 types.
    Below are the 3 types used without the surrounding halo.
    At once you will see the differences in the logo types and also the one logo that applies as the same as the example shown.

All hammers heads are visible
    The etch has what looks to me 2 types of eagle on the blade,, 1 is a Luftwaffe eagle,, the other looks like an Army Heer eagle. Why would these 2 type eagles be on an air force dagger?
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model  Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model  Luftwaffe Dagger Authenticity - 1st Model 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Just my 2 cents worth. The etching reads "In memory of my service time". These etchings were of private purchase by servicemen whose engagement had terminated. This could explain the questions over the blade.

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Blade looks fake to me as I have never seen a logo from EP that looks like that, so I would assume the whole blade is bad.
    Eric
    Another possibility is the blade is good and some knot head destroyed it by putting a logo on it.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

lol..yes I agree but the knot head could have been the original owner? A little momento to himself. The patina on the dagger looks authentic. There is one like this at the auction where the RAD Hewer is..ill report back!!

Quote by MrNosey View Post
    lol..yes I agree but the knot head could have been the original owner? A little momento to himself. The patina on the dagger looks authentic. There is one like this at the auction where the RAD Hewer is..ill report back!!
    Hi MrNosey..lol...I was pointing more to the logo than the etch. Photos of etches are very hard to tell the difference between repro and authentic,,especially in this circumstance as we do not have close enough pics for the etch type collector to see what hes looking at. I myself can not comment on the authenticity of any etch as they all appear 2 dimensional. Close up pics would be beneficial.
    Its still a nice 1st model Luftwaffe except for the questionable logo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast