Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.

Article about: Sometimes your searching for something and you come by chance across a gem that has been on the wishlist for quite some years. Arriving just before Christmas its my pricvate present for unde

?

Fred i saw that Klaas marked dagger on GD, imo this Klaas is more like a look a like one, not having all the features these CH.A.W. marked ones have.
    Recently i saw one of these "look a likes" in Germany on an auction, it had a different style blade, and to me more like a shed put together piece, it had very plain stag grips, and they were attacted to the tang with 5 rivets instead of the usual bolts.

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.
    P
    Many

Interesting comments from both Fred & Ger. The potential to fake the Waffen-Loesche can not dismissed. Someone "working in a shed" could put together something that appeared to be the real thing. For one thing the blades are available. The "Carbine blade" was used between early 1900's and the 1930's on KS98 parade bayonets and hunting knives. I have an Imperial era parade bayonet with this (unmarked) blade and it's worth considerably less than a W-L knife. What Ger describes as someone making a hand grip is not too difficult for someone skilled.

I understand the point being made about fake look-a-likes, but from the pictures posted I could not get a good sense one way or the other if it had been put together after the war. Some period products from Solingen had markings indicating legal protections for a specific design so that it could not be copied. (One that you might not ordinarily think of were the trademarks which were protected). Not a completely dedicated knife collector myself, my point really being was the knife design an exclusive one? Best Regards, Fred

Fred as for period "look a likes" , that may explain this elusive Alex. Coppel version, previously mentioned on this thread.

Note the blade is not the "Carbine" type but the overall look is W-L.

?

Fred i understand your feelings, would it be a period build? a put together souvenir? or one that has been made in the 80ths....
    Who can tell, the one i saw in Germany was not made that well, and for sure didnt came close to the dagger i started this post with.
    Blade style was the same like the ACS, but gripplates had 5 rivets.
    I just couldnt made up the origin, but it was way off for me to keep pictures unfortunate...

regards
    Ger

This interesting thread deserves a bump into the light again. Perhaps someone out there has some new evidence to bring, or has a Waffen-Loesche sales catalogue in a bookcase gathering dust..

Hello,

After some time, I also got a Loesche knife for my collection.

The knife is in a good worn condition. The blade is still almost new.

Unlike other pieces shown here, this specimen has a much larger "Ch.A.W." mark. This is only the second knife, which I see with such a marker.
    A number or other markings are missing.

On the back of the blade is the usual "H" stamp.

This Loesche knife was found in Austria. From other entries in forums or sales ads I could learn that a not insignificant part also comes from Austria.

It is still in his Frog, where it was carried. That's why I did not remove him. The danger is great that it will be damaged. The signs of wear and the prints of the handle are corresponding. In addition, small residues of paint have stuck to the handle. The frog is an extra piece in patent leather and painted chocolate brown. Unfortunately, there are no markings or a carrier basket there. Often you will find these knives unfortunately in supplemented frogs where the signs of wear do not match.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.   Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.  

Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.   Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.  

Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.   Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.  

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.   Luftwaffe forestry knife Waffen-Loesche Ch. A. W.  

In order to clarify the question of the manufacturer possibly significant product details are interesting.

This is where the front ends of the grooves and the tip of the blade stand out. The grooves go over to the top. The top itself is longer and narrower compared to other dressbayonet tops.

The carrying hook is slightly longer, has 2 at the top and a groove at the bottom. I know that only from side guns of the police.

In addition, only the blade was nickel plated. The nickel plating ends just above the parier piece. The rest of the handle has been left. Only polled on the outside.

In addition, I found a knife from the manufacturer Spitzer which could have references to the Loesche knife.

It is very well made and has a similar grip shape. However, it has handles made of walnut wood and a completely different and longer blade.

For other organizations, blade length and execution was a matter of service. So mostly members of the upper service (officers) or Portepee NCOs had shorter blades and a more compliant execution of the handle.

It could be possible that the longer piece of Spitzer in this organization was carried by lower ranks.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast