Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe Machete

Article about: This looks like a good one (they have been reproduced) I think that the fabric/web frog could possibly be a little misleading. With the machetes a part of a bomber survival kit circa 1942. A

Default Re: Luftwaffe Machete

This looks like a good one (they have been reproduced) I think that the fabric/web frog could possibly be a little misleading. With the machetes a part of a bomber survival kit circa 1942. And some other related pictures looking more like Russia (another area where the "tropical" type of items were used). Regards, Fred

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Machete
    P
    Many

?

That is interesting Fred I did not relize they were part of the survival kits in bombers I wonder if they were only included in the bombers being used in places like Southern Russia,Africa or Italy etc...

Regards Mark K

What a nice piece.
    chris

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    That is interesting Fred I did not relize they were part of the survival kits in bombers I wonder if they were only included in the bombers being used in places like Southern Russia,Africa or Italy etc...

Regards Mark K
    Mark, I don’t have much time right now so this will be brief: In a ‘bailout’ you had what you had on your person, so the kits were intended for the crash landings you walked away from and needed something to sustain yourself (and your crew in larger aircraft) until you were rescued, found, rescued yourself etc. And there were different “levels” of survival kits that were designed for the areas where they were used. In the desert water ‘trumped’ the need for a tool to chop down vines and a mango tree , so there was a provision for that coupled with a smaller bladed tool something like a meat cleaver. Which is why I take some of the statements made by dealers with a large grain of salt. Best Regards, Fred

A very nice and hard to find piece.
    I have a few different versions of US aircrew machetes and I
    still hope aquire to a Luftwaffe version as well.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

A nice item but it begs the question as to why the Luftwaffe didn't have a special feldflasche for survival equipment as well? The little 0.7L one would not go far and food ( machete ) without water doesn't equate well.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

This is the first time I've ever heard of these, but I want one now!

I am proud and surprised at the same time,,,what started as maybe a fake...could of end up into the "Best Of the worst" and ended up as a well documented and researched authentic item!! Great job everyone bringing to life this machete example and giving it an identity. The period photo Max is a plus! Keep it coming!! Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

If memory serves there was a similar thread here a few yrs ago but i could'nt find the reference and im sure one of the members had one and posted it,thats how i knew they existed

Just for comparison - here's a reproduction. Sold by IMA.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Machete  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast