Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question

Article about: My husband and I have a sword produced by E.F. Horster and we were wondering if anyone knew of the exact value of the sword. The only marking it has is the number 8.....Please see photos....

armywife
    ?

Question Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question

My husband and I have a sword produced by E.F. Horster and we were wondering if anyone knew of the exact value of the sword. The only marking it has is the number 8.....Please see photos.... It has no unit markings and is in good shape only showing normal wear from age... If anyone knows how much it is worth please respond... Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question   Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question  

Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question   Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question  

Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question 

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe Officer's sword by E.F. Horster Question

Hi,with out the leather hanger $1000 or more as your looks like nickle silver..with hanger a little more but thats $1000 is in very good condition as your pictures i realy cant see the condition...thanks for showing it ,, want to sell ? IS THERE ANY MARKINGS ANYWERE ELSE ON IT?IT LOOKS LIKE IT UNDER THE HANDLE /CROSS GAURD PART?

Yeah...as Pammy said. More pictures are needed. It looks good, though. Where did you obtain this?

armywife
    ?

Quote by pammy View Post
    Hi,with out the leather hanger $1000 or more as your looks like nickle silver..with hanger a little more but thats $1000 is in very good condition as your pictures i realy cant see the condition...thanks for showing it ,, want to sell ? IS THERE ANY MARKINGS ANYWERE ELSE ON IT?IT LOOKS LIKE IT UNDER THE HANDLE /CROSS GAURD PART?
    there is the number 8 under the handle of the sword as well as on the top of the case....
    I don't know if there are any other markings.... there looks like there might be something beside the 8, but I can't tell.... Yes we are wanting to sell it....My husband will be deploying soon and we would like to sell it as soon as we can

armywife
    ?

It was handed down from a friend of the family.... not sure who the original owner was

?

Give me your e-mail as i sent you a pm..

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It is a fine original sword.

I have moved your other thread to the dedicated sales forum.

Good luck to your husband on his deployment. My best wishes to you both.

Cheers, Ade.

Hmmmm-

Well, as mentioned, it's a legitimate Horster fliegerschwert. There are clearly some conditional issues. Value- I don't quite think $1K right now. I use a matrix of criteria to asess saber values (at least the types I personally collect) which includes condition, scarcity vs. commonality of maker, period, and nickel-silver vs. aluminum. This also includes market trends such as auction sales, collector to collector transactions, as well as dealer sales. School or unit markings on Luftwaffe fliegerschwerts also impacts value.

PM me if you'd like my opinion. Otherwise, go with what you think is best.

We thank your husband for his service to his country. It's greatly appreciated.

t
    Last edited by Swordfish; 10-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.