Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

LW 2nd pattern Dagger by Eickhorn

Article about: Well Gents, i have the oppurtunity to buy this 1940 or 1941 Luftwaffe dagger ( small stamped Squirrel Logo) I like the dagger (besides the fact that it been cleaned to much) and portepee, ty

?

Default LW 2nd pattern Dagger by Eickhorn

Well Gents, i have the oppurtunity to buy this 1940 or 1941 Luftwaffe dagger ( small stamped Squirrel Logo)
    I like the dagger (besides the fact that it been cleaned to much) and portepee, typical Eickhorn heartshaped pommel, but what i cant place is the color of the hangers.
    Any one a clue why it is almost brown? no blue left on it at all.
    So i would be glad to receive some feedback on this Luftwaffe set!
    Cheers Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 11-01-2012 at 08:15 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LW 2nd pattern Dagger by Eickhorn
    P
    Many

Default Re: LW 2nd pattern Dagger by Eickhorn

Hi Ger.. they look like Army hangers as the Luft hangers were blue. I love those pumpkin grips and he detail beneath the crossguard is very nice! Congrats on a fine pick up!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Even with the cleaning, this is still a very nice looking dagger. Larry is correct, the hangers are Luftwaffe hardware with Heer straps. Looks like someone did a repair. It seems that the Luft straps never wear as well as some others. It is difficult to find them in very good condition.
    As you mention in your first post, the portapee is for a Heer dagger, and of course not tied correctly for a Luft.
    Wolfgang

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Ger.. they look like Army hangers as the Luft hangers were blue. I love those pumpkin grips and he detail beneath the crossguard is very nice! Congrats on a fine pick up!
    I got my luffwaffe dagger straight from a vet and it to had a army hanger. I'm assuming there were more available and used what they had.

You can often tell if hangers were messed with if you carefully look at the stitching under the lower end. You can also see if they are faded. Most often times repaired or shortened hangers were folded over at the top, these look to be sewn the way the factory did it at the tops. Strange set for sure.
    Also the scabbard on this is not the "textbook", Eickhorn variety. Often towards the end of the period we do see manufacturers sharing components so not to worry just an observation.
    I get lots of groups from Vets and they do not always conform to what the book says. The textbooks were not written till recently so just enjoy your bit of history.