Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...

Article about: Hi all, I'd like to get some opinions on this double-etched LW dagger. One of the things that has me second guessing it is the lower cross guard eagle. I've never come across the breast feat

?

Default Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...

Hi all,

I'd like to get some opinions on this double-etched LW dagger. One of the things that has me second guessing it is the lower cross guard eagle. I've never come across the breast feather pattern like this before, but perhaps someone with more experience with Luftwaffe daggers can tell whether this is a known variant. Obviously I'd like some opinions on the etch as well.

FYI - the lower portion of the maker's mark reads "Solingen", not "Berlin" so at least that checks out

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect all types of WW2 relics, with a specialty in German Luftwaffe Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...

Paul Weyersberg never produced etched 2LW daggers.
    In addition, details on the dagger are very bad.
    I do not like.
    Can you put more photos?

Regards
    Vedran

Hi Dyzner,, I would run from this one as right off there is no waffen amt ( stick bird with the 5 in the belly above the makers logo ) The logo is bad, along with everything else.
    For Vedran,,,Paul Weyersburg did make 2nd Luftwaffe daggers and most excellent ones,, these are not seen as often as others. In Tom Wittmanns Luftwaffe reference on pg 185 is a listing of producers and makers of the this type.
    Also on this link...Wittmann Militaria - 2nd Model Luftwaffe Daggers ..you will see a most excellent example of the Paul Weyersburg type. I have included 4 photos from the link 2nd listing down from the top. Take notice to the detail on the crossguard and feathering,,which the example posted above has none. Check out the eyes on the eagle,, mean looking on Wittmanns example,,and the one above just a hole. The logo has the waffen mark above it,,this one above has not. The ferrule ring lacks detail along with the pommel the wire wrap is twisted and not the springy type seen on all Luft daggers. The grip itself is not bulbous and it is on the slender side,,,( its doesnt have that roundness in the middle of the grip ). Here are 4 photos for now and if you check out the rest of the photos you will see great craftmanship on what a 2nd luft should look like. Regards Larry

Also i want to add that etched daggers are highly faked and I am not an expert on etched patterns as it is hard for anyone to discern from photos,,but with the absence of the waffen amt mark and lack of detail on the etch especially near the logo as it looks broken on the edges,,,this dagger is not one IMO for the serious collector.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...   Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...  

Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...   Need opinions on double-etched LW dagger...  

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, I pointed that ,Paul Weyersberg never produced """etched"""" 2LW daggers.
    Most etched LW dagger, belong to Emil Voos or rarely Carl Julius Krebs Solingen.

Regards
    Vedran

Vedran,,my apologies!! I read it too fast,, thank you for the correction. Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

It's a bad one all the way (first dagger) as the guys have stated, avoid this one matey,
    cheers Ronnie

No problem Larry.

Except companies that I mentioned,
    is there another company, who was produced etched LW daggers?

Regards
    Vedran

?

Thanks guys! I asked the seller for additional photos, with a higher quality camera and better lighting (less glare). I also requested the shots be taken 100% perpendicular to the item. My main reason for asking him to shoot these is so I can have (and share) for future reference. I don't expect the new shots to change the outcome.

The pommel says it all; bad one.

Hi Vedran,,Emil Voos ,,Alcosos, SMF, WKC. Eickhorn, Robert Klaas,,,are the only ones I come come up with at the moment,,unless someone else has a few that I missed. Regards Larry