Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Newbie needing help and some opinions on luft dagger

Article about: Hi guys, fairly new collector, just been online looking around for bits n pieces. Come across this dagger and im unfamiliar with the maker, any opinions or info would be useful. 2nd pattern

andy1985
    ?

Default Newbie needing help and some opinions on luft dagger

Hi guys, fairly new collector, just been online looking around for bits n pieces. Come across this dagger and im unfamiliar with the maker, any opinions or info would be useful.

2nd pattern Luftwaffe Officers Dagger

thanks in advance

2. # ADS

Default Re: Newbie needing help and some opinions on luft dagger

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum!

Not a makers mark I am familiar with either. But the dagger looks totally fine.

Cheers, Ade.

Gents,

Buchel is an accepted maker of Luft2 daggers so no problem there. As Ade says, the rest of the piece looks to be OK. As the seller mentions, Buchel is generally regarded as a scarce maker, particularly on Army daggers but is somewhat more scarce (possibly rare?) on Luft2s. I remember seeing one maybe 5 or 6 years ago at which time it was referred to as "ultra rare". I hadn't seen one up until that point so what did I know, but since that time I've observed a few here & there.

My only comment on the dagger's condition is the blade looks to have been polished pretty well. I don't see any crossgraining & this is always something that miffs dagger guys. With everything, it's always about condition, even with rare pieces. I would just suggest some sort of inspection period so that you don't hate it in hand if the blade is too worked over for your taste.

?

Does anyone know of this site, Harlands, they seem to tick all the right boxes, lifetime guarantee, 30day inspection period, plus advice for new collectors and recommendations to visit well known forums to ask advice re their products, the prices seem very reasonable as well

He's on this list of makers.

Maker Marks

Hope it all works for you,
    Rudy

andy1985
    ?

Hi Guys, thankyou for your helpful guidance, very tempted to splash out as it does seem a nice one.

As for harlands, as far as i can tell they're fairly new, i've sent them a few emails now and they've always been very helpful...definately seemed clued up, nice site too. Considering dropping them an email for some more background on them before splashing out...just to be sure.

Thanks again

I am a noob here, but you would want better pics, IMO. from what I see the blade looks like its been cleaned up at one time and he does show the nick in the pic, condition listed as fantastic? perhaps todays market for that maker still makes it worth that much,I cant say. but honestly I can say,years ago it would not be a 9 out of 10.

those pics are alot better! the dagger does seem to be in better shape then what I thought I seen in the other pics

Unless you are collecting daggers by rare maker mark, the piece to me is a bit on the pricey side. As a new collector, I would advise that you look for a pristeen dagger by a more common maker which could also be had at a better price. When I was a newbie in the late 1950's, I bought my first 2nd model Luftwaffe dagger from a dealer at the going price of $7.50 with the hangers! How prices have changed over the years.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.