Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg

Article about: I found this Luftwaffe Gravity Knife by Paul Weyersberg listed for sale. A guy found it in a storage locker. I was wondering what you knife experts think about it? There is one thing that co

Default Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg

I found this Luftwaffe Gravity Knife by Paul Weyersberg listed for sale. A guy found it in a storage locker. I was wondering what you knife experts think about it? There is one thing that concerns me, the Paul Weyersberg maker's mark. It seems as if every PW gravity knife I have come across always has the logo positioned higher up on the blade. On this example, the logo is much lower. I am a bit skeptical, so I am looking for some extra opinions.

Much appreciated,
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg   Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg  

Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg   Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg  

Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg
    P
    Many

Default Re: Opinions on Luftwaffe Gravity Knife – Paul Weyersberg

It looks o.k. to me, but better pic's of any other markings or numbers would help. Check for a little Luftwaffe eagle or 'stickbird' on the marlin spike/awl, that will pin it to war time manufacture. Here's a good link from a couple of years back that will give you an idea what to look for.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...ty-knife-1012/

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, I sent an email to the guy. He hasn't responded back. I'll post when I get the new pictures.

Corey

Hi Corey,

It's interesting to note that the blade is not marked 'Rostfrei' for stainless steel so it must be the carbon steel blade type, which is rarer.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I offered him $400 for the blade and he agreed. I don't want to go through with the payment until I know 100% sure that it is not a copy/fake.

Corey

Good price. Yeah, it's best to hang on for other comments. I haven't got one of these yet but I'm looking around for one at the mo.

Regards, Ned.

Most of the gravity knives I have ran into recently are priced way up there. In my Warman's identification and price guide, they are listed at $350 - $650. But dealers list them at $800+ I wish I was alive back in the 60s or 70s when you could pick these things up at flea markets for pocket change. Beautiful knives though, I would own them all if I could.

Corey

Hi Corey,

Just looking at the blade again, it doesn't appear to be all the way out does it? Maybe that's why the logo is so close to the handle and perhaps it is stamped 'Rostfrei' after all? The heel ( ricasso?) of the blade is not visible and it should be IMO. I'd get in touch with the vendor to check it's not getting jammed.

Regards, Ned.

I sent him an email, he'll check it out and send me pictures of the other markings. You have a good eye Ned, I can't believe I didn't see that!

Corey

?

it looks good to me too. and the price is great for one in that condition. nice find.
    andrew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast