Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.

Article about: It's a good idea, contacting Wittmann, is he a member of this site ? Regarding the scabbard, I don't think it will clean up.....

Default Re: Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.

It's a good idea, contacting Wittmann, is he a member of this site ?

Regarding the scabbard, I don't think it will clean up.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.
    P
    Many

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.   Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.  

Don't know if Wittmann would be a member here, but do check out his site. He is well respected and extremely knowledgable in the field of WWII German dress daggers. Isn't too much you can do to improve the blade and the scabbard has seen better days, but the crossguard and pommel can easily be replaced with ones original to this maker.

good advise, above ^

yes, an honest explanation of the parts swap,cost and effort would be worth it.

I have decided to wait contacting Wittmann untill I get home and can hold the dagger, maybe take some more pics. Then I will know for sure if the handle is ok and if I can clean the scabbard in some way. Untill then I have got a lot of time to spend.
    I used a couple of hours yesterday, comparing the crossguard to others on the internet. Found out that it is WKC made. Then compared the pommel to all the WKC made daggers, I could find on the internet. All of them had pommels with pebbled bagground. Mine is without the pebbled background. I'm thinking more and more that this is a parts dagger.... pommel and crossguard (probably) don't match, army ferrule. The scabbard looks WKC though....
    Can anyone tell my if this is a parts dagger or not ??

Thanks
    Best regards

Certainly don't want to seem like I'm pushing Tom Wittmann's services here. I do know him personally and just believe he could answer any questions you may have on your dagger. If it is a parts dagger, you just may want to save your money and buy a complete, "unmessed" with Luft dagger from a HONEST dealer. I've actually sent daggers to Wittmann to have them looked at and damaged parts replaced with original to the maker parts. He will be honest with you and won't rip you off.

No worry Canadatim I don't feel like been pushed into anything. I know Wittmann's reputation and will probably contact him when I get back home. Untill then, I have alot of sparetime to spend, doing my own research. As I wrote earlier I havn't even held the dagger yet. I think it's better to have a closer look at it before contacting Wittmann.
    By the way IMO this dagger is a keeper and worth restoring, because of the luftwaffe officer who owned it. It's not just any dagger.
    I thought of the chance of this been a parts dagger today. What speaks against it, is that the crossguard, pommel and handle has been together since it was denazified (Marks from the grinder on the handle). There are even scratches on the blade, that could be from the tool used, when breaking of the swastika.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.   Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.  

Smile Re: Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.

Home sweeeet home Have had a closer look at the dagger. There's no doubt that the crossguard, handle and pommel are original to this dagger ! Ran across a WKC crossguard on the internet, it's a a perfect match !
    Next step is contacting Wittmann to hopefully get a pommel.

Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.   Personalized and denazified 2nd luft.  

That luft is a bit puzzling in its parts.. Like you say the crossguard is a WKC with their "left over right" overlapping leaves on the guard tops. The pommel is the early type used my a few makers (on their early luft 2nd's) I believe it was made by Pack though. Red felt buffer is just wrong. Scabbard is earier Pack type also. The army ferrel is seen on super early Packs but not with that WKC guard! Strange indeed. If you truly believe this personalized blade is good(not my area of expertise,but letter style is not inspiring) Then I would restore with early Pack thruout to be consistant and call it a day! Good luck! Kevin.

Hello again.
    I've made contact with the owner of the "Fritz Edelhof grouping" http://www.johnsonreferencebooks.com/26291.htm.
    He would like to buy my dagger and he wants me to name a price ?? This is very difficult for me, I'm still a novice at this.
    The fact is that this dagger is worth alot to the right person and that person is asking me for a price. It is a missing piece in a spectacular grouping.
    The dagger comes with the ekstra crossguard from the correct maker, the ferrule ring and a portepee with no fraying.
    I'm in to my ears here please help me pricing this dagger !!
    Best regards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast