Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1st type enameled ring found in SS positions

Article about: Hi William, thanks for the images. To me the one on the left looks legit. If so then \\$400 probably isn't too bad seeing as a member on the WAF claimed to have been offered 1000euro for his e

Default Re: 1st type enameled ring found in SS positions

Hi William, thanks for the images. To me the one on the left looks legit. If so then $400 probably isn't too bad seeing as a member on the WAF claimed to have been offered 1000euro for his example! The ring on the right is of course a laughable fake although I note the seller makes no claim to the piece being an authentic TR period item.

I have to say, this ring is my favorite piece at the moment and will probably remain so for some time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1st type enameled ring found in SS positions
    P
    Many

It Is a Very attractive ring, I have to admit. And, I also think the dark left ring looks like it just might be an original as well. If so, that would make something like 4 or 5 of this design that I've seen. One ring, I remember, the seller claimed that he sold it at an auction for $2100, but I somewhat doubt this. In any case, a fairly rare design!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by wagriff View Post
    possibly good news, glenn. I remember this particular ring from some while ago but didn't pursue it at the time. Now, i see it has started being cranked out by the fakers and is being sold on ebay under a number of different descriptions. So, if the fakers have got a hold of it, it must be good, hey? Nice to have an original!
    (ebay #110914648861 + 150821409933)

Attachment 375419Attachment 375420
    i,ve seen couple of these rings,same details,same desighn-but newer from silver.so i verymuch believe that silver ring with this desighn offered as originals-will allways be fakes.

A careful study under magnification has revealed a stamping! Even though i've had this ring for over 6 months now I always assumed it was unmarked but after a real close look there is a tiny mark cut in half by the sizing line.

Its tough to make out but it should read 'GOLDIN' which I believe is the copper and aluminum alloy used in Germany at the time for manufacture of cheap jewellery. The 'G' didn't stamp so well but the 'OLDIN' seems reasonably clear.

1st type enameled ring found in SS positions

Hmm...doesn't "Goldin" mean "Made in China"? lol j/k
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This may be irrelevant to this topic but i wanted to post a couple of photos with similarities. This dagger as seen in Wittmanns SS book pg 84 resides in a private collection. This dagger is Rohm SS dedication dagger and the original owner must of really hated Rohm as he has removed Rohms signature and replaced it with a laughing skull with the date of Rohms demise. When i first saw this thread and the image on on the ring, I immediately thought of the near same image on the blade of this dagger. Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st type enameled ring found in SS positions  
    Attached Images Attached Images 1st type enameled ring found in SS positions 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry, thats very interesting! I'm guessing some sort of Freikorps connotation with the smiling skull.

?

Quite the ring, Glenn!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Hi Stefan,

You make an interesting point re the Freikorps connection and I suppose anything is possible yet there were many versions of Freikorps skulls. The ring is similar to the skull design of the Heydebreck Freikorps, the so-called "Werwolf" group. Here is a supposed badge from this group, the authenticity of which I cannot confirm.

Attachment 375100

Then of course there is the famous image of the Garford-Putilov armoured car in use by another Freikorps group and naturally there is a completely different skull emblem.

Attachment 375099

I am fond of this image due to the massive giant of a man on the left who looks to be 7 feet tall. Of course his two pals could just be really short!
    Great period pic of the jolly 'grey' giant!

I also noticed the visorless helmet.

- - Updated - -

Quote by Larry C View Post
    This may be irrelevant to this topic but i wanted to post a couple of photos with similarities. This dagger as seen in Wittmanns SS book pg 84 resides in a private collection. This dagger is Rohm SS dedication dagger and the original owner must of really hated Rohm as he has removed Rohms signature and replaced it with a laughing skull with the date of Rohms demise. When i first saw this thread and the image on on the ring, I immediately thought of the near same image on the blade of this dagger. Larry
    Never seen that before. Interesting.

As you say, someone must have hated his guts.

?

Attachment 375099

I am fond of this image due to the massive giant of a man on the left who looks to be 7 feet tall. Of course his two pals could just be really short!
    Pic reminded me of one I had saved somewhere. I managed to dig it out against all odds.

Hi Stefan,

You make an interesting point re the Freikorps connection and I suppose anything is possible yet there were many versions of Freikorps skulls. The ring is similar to the skull design of the Heydebreck Freikorps, the so-called "Werwolf" group. Here is a supposed badge from this group, the authenticity of which I cannot confirm.

Attachment 375100

Then of course there is the famous image of the Garford-Putilov armoured car in use by another Freikorps group and naturally there is a completely different skull emblem.

Attachment 375099

Allow me to add the button die I recently aquired!
    I can't come up to any thing else then thise Freikorps corps skull and bones that looks similar...., to me, that is.
    Round eyes, front view of the skull, type of bones; all these details are similar to the ones on the die...
    Details of uniform buttons would be so great, but I know by experience that they are exeptionaly rare to find of any button!
    There is a intresting thread on a Spanish forum about Freikorps insigna's, maybe I should pick up my Spanish again and ask them!
    Foro Segunda Guerra Mundial • Ver Tema - Los Freikorps alemanes 1918-23
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st type enameled ring found in SS positions  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast