Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!

Article about: Hello All, I've been offered this ring and I need a bit of help. I haven't had much experience with 'Alpacca' as a material, so I'm not too sure if this ring is ok. I'm pretty sure this ring

?

Thumbs up Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!

Hello All, I've been offered this ring and I need a bit of help. I haven't had much experience with 'Alpacca' as a material, so I'm not too sure if this ring is ok. I'm pretty sure this ring is a period pattern/design, also the detailing appears to be quite good. The wear on the ring is consistent with other Alpacca rings I've seen on this forum as well. What does everyone think? All opinions welcomed! Cheers, skip01

Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!
    P
    Many

It's fine.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I am not sure with this pics, but the band oposite the skull and beside the seam looks to thick for me.
    I would be careful. Better/larger pics are a must in this case.

True...Lots of fake Alpacca's out there...a huge market for them..
    William

?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Why are the deeper parts of the ring black? I was under the impression that alpacca would stay bright/shiny, or at least remain a grey-ish silver, and not tarnish like actual silver. Unless this ring isn't the real deal.... Thoughts?

It may have been "antiqued" to show the detailing better-much the same as modern jewelry is. "Alpacca" is simply another name for German Silver or Nickel Silver, but the formulation of it is not strictly regulated like precious metals. It has large percentages of both copper and zinc, so these too could be a cause for tarnishing. The usual make up is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc, but these could vary significantly by the producer.

Personally, I stick with the solid silver rings, but that's just me. They were generally of abit better quality and not quite so common as the silver plated's, etc. They commonly keep significantly better prices and values as well...
    Last edited by Wagriff; 03-13-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    William

?

Thanks for the info Wagriff. I might have to give this one some second thought then. Cheers!

?

[QUOTE=skip01;1594733]Thanks for the replies, guys. Why are the deeper parts of the ring black? I was under the impression that alpacca would stay bright/shiny, or at least remain a Grey

Alpacca is a mixture, an alloy. So it is depending on content and you will find very different colours from Alpacca/Neusilber/nickelsilver/germansilver....a lot of names for this material.
    This rings are usual plated with silver so the dark could be silver oxydation.

Nice ring, I have 3 same rings in my collection and this will be 4th. One marked with large ALPACCA, other marked with small ALPACCA, third is marked with GOLDIN.

Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please! Alpacca Skull Ring - Opinions Please!