Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Skull Ring

Article about: Unfortunately, I have to say my immediate impression was not favorable either. The detail looks soft and not from wear, rather from being a cast copy of another (hopefully original master) p

Default Another Skull Ring

I have recently added another skull ring to my collection. This one is referred to as the "Gorilla Head" style. There are no markings inside this ring. In the photos it may appear to be brass, but that is not so. In hand it is more of a nickel silver in comparrison to my other one.
    I hope you like it.
    Ralph.
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    And here it is along side my other skull ring.
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    Another Skull Ring
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Skull Ring
    P
    Many

These are such a minefield...are you sure it's authentic?
    cheers, Glenn

Unfortunately, I would have to ask the same. Although I hope that it is good,to my eyes, it looks questionable. The quality of it's construction looks to be unusual.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    These are such a minefield...are you sure it's authentic?
    cheers, Glenn
    I hope so Glenn!
    I guess we will see.
    I believe the source is reliable.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I have ZERO clue on rings - Except the TK "Himmler" ones anyway... Other than that - I'm LOST with trying to "authenticate."

This world - is a world I have YET to wander in....

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Unfortunately, I would have to ask the same. Although I hope that it is good,to my eyes, it looks questionable. The quality of it's construction looks to be unusual.
    Hi William,
    Thanks for posting your concerns. Please feel free to tell me what they are.
    I have been searching posts by member Odal as I knew I had seen him post one of this style. He posted on Chris's thread about Kantinen rings. This one, to my untrained eyes, appears to be very similar to the ones that he posted as originals. Here is the thread and a photo posted by Odal.
    Ralph.
    My Ring Collection So far
    Attached Images Attached Images Another Skull Ring 

Hello Ralph, A number of smaller details look suspicious to me. The rough edges on the reverse side would definitely raise concerns-as well as the shiny appearance on the inside. If you look at Odal's specimen, the rings around the eye sockets are markedly different and the shapes of the teeth differ significantly also. The chin is shaped quite differently, etc. To my eyes, I would tend to believe that this is an imitation of a "Gorilla head". Fairly well done, but it doesn't ring true to me. Possibly a mold made from an original? Like I said, I am hoping to be wrong here, but the appearance looks off to me. Is this piece from a known dealer?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hm!These so called Gorilla-heads are a rather rare period pattern.
    Usually die struck made in brass or in bronce (both variants are known). Most of them are silver plated, some have red paint in the eyes.
    This ring here - hard to say sure from this pics, but it looks in moment for me as a cast fake made out of the wrong alloy. May possible could be too a later thick plated one.
    Has it a visible seam?

And, i nearly forgot it: There is a 3. known variant, very rare, made out of a very corrosive and lightweight alloy, this ones are nickel plated.

All these variants are die struck and have clear detaills - look for example the above posted ring from my collection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These photos do not show the real color properly. Tomorrow I will take some photos in natural light. There is a seam at the back.
    Ralph.

?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...comparison.jpg

Thanks - more pics could be helpful - the surface of the skull should be plain and smooth - no pittings and poc-scars.
    Sorry my not so good englisch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast