Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dak ring

Article about: Hi Chaps, I've been offered this DAK ring bought back by a man in the 8th Army (it comes with copies of his papers). Annoyed from this ads?   Does it look original? I'm not sure as I've

Default Re: Dak ring

Quote by Horst View Post
    Looks like a nice probably period ring based on the Vet connection - as noted above by pervious members these rings were locally produced both by the locals and the soldiers themselves also sold as mass merchandise in the Post Exchanges/canteens etc - The provenance in most cases is the main key to determine period or none period not to forget materials etc.
    Horst
    Cheers Horst. The seller is after £250 for it, being that it's a family piece. So looks like no deal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dak ring
    P
    Many

Doesn't seem to have much wear to it ?? How about the inside? What is it made of ??

Personally, I have to say that I see nothing wrong with this ring. It is a nice heavy and quality detailed piece and if any opinion is needed on it, I would say that it is, indeed, an authentic original. £250 is on the stiff side, but not totally unreasonable. If it were being considered by me, I would say that a ring of this quality would be worth perhaps as much as £200. I wouldn't mind purchasing it myself!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Doesn't seem to have much wear to it ?? How about the inside? What is it made of ??
    Not sure as I've not handled it. There's supposed to be a mark on the inside.

No expert on rings at all, I assume they were worn in battle ? North Afrika would be an abrasive enviroment ??

Dare i say this? if it's gold it'll be worth a fair few quid in scrap.

Keep in mind that these rings should Not show extensive wear. They were, afterall, only worn a short while-at the most a few years. The DAK was only in existence for a tad over 2 years(12 February 1941 – 13 May 1943), so chances are this ring was worn for about a year or so-give or take a few months. It's heavy silver from the looks of it and certainly would not be worn to destruction in such a short period of time.
    William

Dare i say this? if it's gold it'll be worth a fair few quid in scrap.
    Yeah, I did wonder if it was gold.

The gold parts are likely gold-filled on the silver ring. This was the normal method in the era, to highlight and ornament silver rings with gold filled. I have several rings myself from the 30's and 40's with this style construction.
    William

this ring if genuine should be hollow silver, probably has small pin hole on front edge to release gas when soldering front design onto face
    should have lozenge shaped stamp with MI fascist bundle and 14 enclosed
    MI for milan where these sort of rings were made
    not local made in bazaars
    14 for factory number.. most have 800 stamp seperate..
    cheers
    fraser
    ps.. i have images of 4 of the milan rings all different styles
    local made ones are more crude, solid silver usually with t 800 stamp

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast