Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

A few more skull rings

Article about: Hi all! I really appreciated the feedback on my earlier posting of my rings, I found a few more that I would like to show. I tried to get close up shots of the backs but they did not come ou

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    From only 2 photos how do you make that call?
    Yes, only from two photos. I see casting

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few more skull rings
    P
    Many

Quote by Triggerself View Post
    I see casting
    Perhaps if you highlight those areas you see, William will take better photos?

?

Quote by Triggerself View Post
    strange ring, looks bad for me

This is very nice ring and very rare
    Yes, first one is without any doubts a cast one....second looks fine

lol The 1st one is certainly not cast. There is no porosity either inside or out. It is merely my poor photographs that give it any sort of such appearance. This one was dug in Karelia and underwent much discussion at the time. It has also been posted on the ring forum(your own forum,Sergey...) with fine results. It is one of the lot that I would have no qualms about. According to a silversmith in Virginia, it had evidence of being repaired or sized at Least 3 times. This does, however, illustrate quite well the current paranoia about rings and the "everything is cast" attitude that is prevailing. Too many people-both experienced and not- are making instant judgements and using poor photographs. I wonder how many Good rings have been discarded and passed on because of such things.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-15-2016 at 05:26 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Sorry, porosity is only a sign for bad casting with not enaugh heat.

If not welcome, i have no problem to tell here no more opinions about rings.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    It has also been posted on the ring forum(your own forum,Sergey...) with fine results.
    Nice original one day, cast fake the next...now how could that be?

Quote by odal View Post
    You are very welcome here Goetz, your opinions are much appreciated. For education, what is it about Williams ring that concerns you? To me it looks fine?

Quote by odal View Post
    Sorry, porosity is only a sign for bad casting with not enaugh heat.

Well, I certainly value your opinion Odal, and want to hear more of it! I understand if people don't like to hear Bad News about their Good Habits, but if people here have a problem with others saying what they think, well, then this also is not a forum for me!
    Mark

Sorry if it offends everyone, but the ring has been thoroughly vetted and discussed and is just fine by all that have seen it. I did not post it to be authenticated. It Is authentic. It has makers marks,silver marks and sizing repairs to the shank and they are Not integrally cast into it-they are Stamped. Alot of cast fakes have these attributes,do they? Because the photos I took indoors under poor lighting conditions turned out badly, hardly makes it "beyond a doubt cast". I've collected rings for over 50 years and I certainly know what "cast" looks like in a silver piece. Again, this only shows the paranoia about rings that exists today-when even the "experts" catch the "cast bug".
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-14-2016 at 07:34 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi all,

I recieved an explanation from Maxim about the rings. It seems that the rings were gold plated after they were found. This is how they looked original and cleaned I am told.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few more skull rings   A few more skull rings  

A few more skull rings  

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast