Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

A few more skull rings

Article about: Hi all! I really appreciated the feedback on my earlier posting of my rings, I found a few more that I would like to show. I tried to get close up shots of the backs but they did not come ou

?

This is at the jeweler before they were plated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few more skull rings   A few more skull rings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few more skull rings
    P
    Many

?

So is it possible that these are in fact the rings I have but gold plated? Wouldn't they have more value as relics? How can I tell that they are plate and not casts of these?

It's a matter of personal preference when it comes to relics. Some prefer them in the state that they originally were in when owned and worn by the original owner, and some prefer a total relic condition, going so far as to actually prefer the rust and corrosion that resulted from 7 decades of burial in the soils. Myself, I see nothing bad about restoration, but that's just my personal opinion. I always envision the original owner looking at them and asking "Why have you let them rust? Why don't you polish them up?", whereas the Purists want nothing touched at all. Value-wise, it can go either way, depending on who is buying them from you. A restorationist or a purist.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for the reply,

If they are brass beneath the plating, as they look to be in the photos, then I would think that they are genuine. I have not seen brass rings like this being duplicated. So far, the fakers seem to be working with the silver rings rather than the base metal pieces.
    William

Rather than being brass, as kantine rings I could imagine them being made of a cheap alloy. 'GOLDIN' was the name of one of the alloys and tarnishes just like the un-plated rings shown above.

A few more skull rings A few more skull rings

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    Hi all,

I recieved an explanation from Maxim about the rings. It seems that the rings were gold plated after they were found. This is how they looked original and cleaned I am told.
    Hmmm.. isn't that something you might mention before you sell them to someone as 'fresh from out of the ground'?
    Just saying...
    Mark

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    lol The 1st one is certainly not cast. There is no porosity either inside or out. It is merely my poor photographs that give it any sort of such appearance. This one was dug in Karelia and underwent much discussion at the time. It has also been posted on the ring forum(your own forum,Sergey...) with fine results. It is one of the lot that I would have no qualms about. According to a silversmith in Pennsylvania, it had evidence of being repaired or sized at Least 3 times. This does, however, illustrate quite well the current paranoia about rings and the "everything is cast" attitude that is prevailing. Too many people-both experienced and not- are making instant judgements and using poor photographs. I wonder how many Good rings have been discarded and passed on because of such things.
    Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Nice original one day, cast fake the next...now how could that be?
    No one told that this is original ring. Here is the proof from my group.

A few more skull rings

Quote by Mark4321 View Post
    Hmmm.. isn't that something you might mention before you sell them to someone as 'fresh from out of the ground'?
    Just saying...
    Mark
    The original sales advertisement did say "To the rings were used several methods of cleaning, as a result very well could see the gold coating" so no mention of gold plating after being found.

The "proof" is 11 ring collectors gave their approval and You did not say a single word against it. And it was actually posted Several times on your Forum-all without a word of dissent from You.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-15-2016 at 05:27 AM.
    William

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast