Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

General question about German rings

Article about: Hi, A few weeks ago I was searching for a new ring and found this which I'm fairly sure is a reproduction because it only cost £35 and doesn't have a scratch on it, I just liked the design.

Hello to all =) I'm new at the forum, and I starting to look for some items of ss waffen, looks cool, not talking by the acts done by they, but visually is fine. Want some help with on item, pease you could help?
    The problem is with this ring: (pictures attached bellow), I did not found anything similar on internet, but the seller in the site says that is original:
    "Ring found in Russia, together with the remains of the Danish Waffen SS legionaries. The soldier served in the division "Danmark". He was killed in late January and early February 1944. 100% original. The last picture shows the soldier ID TAG"
    Is this really a personal ring of an ss solider?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture General question about German rings   General question about German rings  

General question about German rings   General question about German rings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement General question about German rings
    P
    Many

This particular style of skull ring is known as the "Gorilla Head" for obvious reasons. They were popular with all branches of the various armed forces-including the SS. The fact that yours has some provenance to it is nice. The materials they were made of varies, but many were silver plated and some, such as this one, were simply brass. I can see nothing immediately wrong with your ring-it looks good. They do make fakes of this design, but yours looks fine to me.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Here is a ring that is not supposed to exist. A Gorilla Head made of solid silver and marked "800" inside. There are those who would swear that there were no such solid silver Gorillas ever made, but this one came straight out of the ground by a digger that is well known to me, so people can make of it what they will. It is Not being posted for authenticating, but rather is just here to show another variety of the previous Gorilla Head above.

General question about German ringsGeneral question about German rings
    William

Someone selling a complete ID tag and a ring supposedly from the same soldier tells me a grave has been uncovered. Could be the remains have been uncovered professionally and reported to relevant authorities...or not.

Would want to be sure the seller is reputable before inadvertently supporting a black digger.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Someone selling a complete ID tag and a ring supposedly from the same soldier tells me a grave has been uncovered. Could be the remains have been uncovered professionally and reported to relevant authorities...or not.

Would want to be sure the seller is reputable before inadvertently supporting a black digger.
    I was contemplating that myself. Looking at the dog tag, there are actually remnants of Cloth adhering to it. Almost a T-shirt type of cloth with spots of reddish staining to them. I guess the main question would be, was this site dug by licensed professionals or treasure hunting amateurs? An excavation of a lone ring is one thing-it could be from any number of circumstances, but when accompanied by dog tags as well? Then you start getting into nervous territory. There are a Lot of grey areas when digging battlefields.
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Here is a ring that is not supposed to exist. A Gorilla Head made of solid silver and marked "800" inside. There are those who would swear that there were no such solid silver Gorillas ever made, but this one came straight out of the ground by a digger that is well known to me, so people can make of it what they will. It is Not being posted for authenticating, but rather is just here to show another variety of the previous Gorilla Head above.

General question about German ringsGeneral question about German rings
    It's true, silver gorilla head ring doesn't exist. It can be only brass with silver finish.

Wagriff and Glenn66, first, thanks so much for the fast reply! And I'm feel glad for yours time helping me. So, the seller is 100% trustfull in the site, and has others items for sale from the same period, but dont know, I'm new at this area, hope that the seller not be an black digger or supports one

ah and thanks to NeGaTiVe too!

Quote by NeGaTiVe View Post
    It's true, silver gorilla head ring doesn't exist. It can be only brass with silver finish.
    And yet.....there you go-right out of the ground....strange, hey?
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    And yet.....there you go-right out of the ground....strange, hey?
    Yep, It's a question. But are you sure that this ring was found in the ground? You found it by yourself? Can you post silver purity mark for review please? Thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast