MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

General question about German rings

Article about: Hi, A few weeks ago I was searching for a new ring and found this which I'm fairly sure is a reproduction because it only cost £35 and doesn't have a scratch on it, I just liked the design.

?

Default General question about German rings

Hi,

A few weeks ago I was searching for a new ring and found this which I'm fairly sure is a reproduction because it only cost £35 and doesn't have a scratch on it, I just liked the design. I've since tried to research the design and believe its a symbol used by the 2nd Panzer division, and discovered just how many different, interesting and varied designs of German world war 2 rings appear to have been made. Since I've always been interested in the war I was wondering why they were made in the first place. I can't seem to find many examples of other countries doing this. Were they awarded to troops, or just bought by them? Or maybe they were worn by the German civilians as a show of support? Any information on this ring or the rings in general would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture General question about German rings   General question about German rings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement General question about German rings
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: General question about German rings

Most rings were bought by the wearer. Most were canteen bought -the DAK had set jewellers making commerative rings
    The deaths head honour ring were awarded by Himmler.
    In wW1 the Germans had homefront rings and rings given when the wearer donated precious metal to the war effort
    The Americans have unit rings aswell as service rings and I have seen Brit rings to the Paras and the RAF

?

Hi Jimboo and welcome to the forum.

You are partly correct, this symbol was used by the 2nd SS Panzer Division 'Das Reich'.

It is a stylised rune or symbol known as the 'Wolfsangel' or 'Wolfhook' of Nordic origin supposedly to hold magical qualities to keep wolves at bay or to trap them.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Each military unit had their own "Symbol" such as the one on the ring you noticed. Some designs were quite elaborate and some were simple geometric sketches. When I say "unit", this included just about every size out there-Divisions, Regiments, Battalions, etc. They were used on vehicles, etc. for easy recognition. Naturally, members of these units were proud of their membership in them and so, of course, such things as rings with their unit's symbols would be seen popping up-either field made or sometimes commissioned from jewelers. There generally wasn't any "officially issued" rings for any of them. And, yes, you run across other countries doing the same type of thing. Quite often, for example, you'll see US Navy rings, Marines, etc. My father wore such a ring in the Navy for his ship. Air Force bomber groups quite often like to have their unit patches on personal jewelry. The concept is certainly nothing new and you can actually find examples of ancient Roman rings from the various Legions, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thats really interesting thanks for replying. I'm thinking of trying to find a decent original example if I can. Can anyone tell me if their are any ways of telling for sure whether one is original or anything I should be aware of? I assume the majority are reproductions.

I recommend that you begin with a reputable seller...and share your intended purchase with the knowledgeable and helpful members of this Forum.
    These items are heavily faked and can be quite expensive, no need to take unnecessary risks with your cash!
    Cheers, Glenn

Most of the rings are fantasy pieces - such rings never existed pre 1945. The ring You got is also a fantasy item.

Some genuine TR era rings for you to study...my entire collection in fact!

General question about German ringsGeneral question about German ringsGeneral question about German ringsGeneral question about German rings

?

They're amazing, especially the first one. I can definitely tell the difference between that and some of the copies I've seen. Thanks!

Appreciate the advice people. I'll be consulting you guys before I part with any cash.

Two simple rules of thumb. Know your Seller and his reputation and Post photos of any potential ring here Before you buy it. But, know that even "normally seen and known" rings are now even being faked,and some of them are pretty damn good. Generally, the more spectacular the design, the less chance of it being genuine. Also, No wartime era European silver ring will be marked "Sterling". Most all your average stuff was marked 800 or 835, but, again, this is no longer an absolute proof anymore, as the fakers have long since caught on and are now routinely marking their garbage with 800, etc.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast