Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring

Article about: First off, this is my first time posting here. I found this forum and its excellent information while trying to authenticate what I believe is an SS Honor Ring I found and acquired through e

Moongara
    ?

Default Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring

First off, this is my first time posting here. I found this forum and its excellent information while trying to authenticate what I believe is an SS Honor Ring I found and acquired through eBay.

A little while ago, I was prowling around eBay, searching "haunted jewelry" just for fun (I was really bored) when I came across a ring that caught my attention. Upon looking at the pictures of the inside, I realized that the seller really didn't know what they had. There was a very clear signature on the inside, "H. Himml?r" (I could guess what it said but reading cursive has never been a strong suit of mine). I knew vaguely about the SS rings but beyond the skull in the front, wasn't familiar with the design. After asking the seller a couple of questions about where they had acquired the ring, I put in an offer to buy it. The ring started out being $88.80, but I managed to get them down to $72. They were selling it as a "Haunted Jewelry,Rare,Extremely powerful,Old Magic,handmade, Unique,strong Spirit". (I spent a lot of time giggling evilly at the thought of his intended sales audience, the average New Ager buying it and running around wearing an SS ring...there is just something totally wrong about such a scenario) This was interesting to me as in the story of how the seller acquired the ring, they mentioned that it as from WW2, though they had been told by its previous owner that it was hand made in Russia and had been blessed by a witch of some sort to protect its wearer.

Once I received the ring, it took all of about 5 minutes with Google to figure out that, at least, the signature on the ring matched the one on an SS honor ring. All the outer symbols match too...or at least what is left of them. The front two and the skull are worn, the swastika and six pointed symbol are both legible but the symbol that would have been on the bottom is completely obliterated, as if someone used it as a "worry stone" of sorts. It is also the part of the ring that would take the most wear and tear. (I am familiar with silver, silver rings and their wear patterns). The ring is also pretty severely bent. The script of the date and the S.lb match multiple images I have found using Google Image search...mostly authenticated ones and high end reproductions. The name script also matches the script on authentic examples.

The date on the inside is 21.06.1942 (June 21st, 1942, to put it in American date format)

I will take pictures of it as soon as the weather is cooperative (natural light is a must for getting usable pictures of any sort of jewelry).

A little while ago, I was prowling around eBay, searching "haunted jewelry" just for fun (I was really bored) when I came across a ring that caught my attention. Upon looking at the pictures of the inside, I realized that the seller really didn't know what they had. There was a very clear signature on the inside, "H. Himml?r" (I could guess what it said but reading cursive has never been a strong suit of mine). I knew vaguely about the SS rings but beyond the skull in the front, wasn't familiar with the design. After asking the seller a couple of questions about where they had acquired the ring, I put in an offer to buy it. The ring started out being $88.80, but I managed to get them down to $72. They were selling it as a "Haunted Jewelry,Rare,Extremely powerful,Old Magic,handmade, Unique,strong Spirit". I spent a lot of time giggling evilly at the thought of his intended sales audience, the average New Ager buying it and running around wearing an SS ring...there is just something totally wrong about such a scenario. I found it particularly amusing given how surprised the seller was when I told them what 5 minutes worth of research and a bit of common sense told me once I had the item in hand. It was all I could do to keep from insulting their history teachers (extrapolating who's signature "H. Himmler" might be doesn't take that much history learning...or is it just me?)

Once I received the ring, it took all of about 5 minutes with Google to figure out that, at least, the signature on the ring matched the one on an SS honor ring. All the outer symbols match too...or at least what is left of them. The front two and the skull are worn but still very much there, the swastika and six pointed symbol are both legible but the symbol that would have been on the bottom is completely obliterated, as if someone used it as a "worry stone" of sorts. It is also the part of the ring that would take the most wear and tear under normal circumstances. (I am familiar with silver, silver rings and their wear patterns...both from classes and from my own experiences with silver rings). The ring is also pretty severely bent. Despite the bend, I can tell from comparisons with the rings I wear and know the size of, it is a pretty average size for a male's ring. The script of the date and the S.lb match multiple images I have found using Google Image search, using authenticated examples and high end reproductions. The name script also matches the script on authentic examples.

The date on the inside is 21.06.1942 (June 21st, 1942, to put it in American date format)

I will take pictures of it as soon as the weather is cooperative (natural light is a must for getting usable pictures of any sort of jewelry). In the mean time I have included the pictures from the eBay listing.

I have three questions for everyone. One, do you think it is authentic? Two, is there any way to find out information on it's original owner (unit, theater of operation, date of death, etc.)? I believe that the last name on the inside is Zelenka or Zelenko. Three, since the name is the most difficult to read part of the ring, does anyone know if there is a way to back track who might have owned it using just the date?

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring   Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring  

Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring   Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring  

2. # ADS

Pics are poor, but it looks like a cast. Is there a
    seam behind the skull, and is the skull itself
    a separate piece ?

Welcome to the Forum, BTW.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately this is a very poor cast fake. Take a few moments to do a forum search to see genuine examples, although there are many bogus examples of varying degrees of crapness, so you will have to sift through a few first. The difference in quality will be apparent immediately.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

What exactly does a haunted ring do, anyway?

Glenn

In case there's any more concerns that the ring may be genuine, allow me to quote the OP's text in part:

"The date on the inside is 21.06.1942 (June 21st, 1942, to put it in American date format)"

No genuine Ehrenring has the date of the summer solstice engraved with the month of June as '06', indeed, all single digit months are engraved without the '0'. Hence bestowal dates of a few for example: 30.6.34, 7.3.36, 20.4.37, 21.6.42 etc. There are a few early examples that have used Roman numerals in the date, as in one of the 1933 rings where the script is written 24.XII.33, and a 1934 example with 30.VI.34, but these are extremely rare.

Therefore the ring is bogus and cannot be considered the real deal under any circumstances I'm afraid.

I note Mr.Moongara has left the building, another of the single thread posters that seem to always be Honour ring owners?? Check the stats, there's dozens of 'em....

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Creative sales-pitch to get rid of crappy repros...
    Glenn

Quote by Moongara View Post
    the story of how the seller acquired the ring, they mentioned that it as from WW2, though they had been told by its previous owner that it was hand made in Russia and had been blessed by a witch of some sort to protect its wearer.
    The name in the ring "Zelenka..belongs to this Romanian Gypsy woman Maleva Zelenka. She originally wanted to inscribe this paragraph inside the ring..but blessed the ring making it haunted.

Maleva Zelenka: The way you walked was thorny though no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil, the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end.Now you will have peace for eternity. ( End Quote) Photo below of Maleva Zelenka Witch of the Old Magic Haunted Ring

Help Authenticating SS Honor Ring
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This might be the only thing real about this ring :

Quote by Moongara View Post
    ......they had been told by its previous owner
    that it was hand made in Russia.....
    Regards,

Steve.

Sorry, Moon..but that sound you just heard wasn't a ghost...it was your 72 bucks going down the toilet...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Moongara,
    I think that the only person "giggling evilly" at this point in time would be the
    clown who managed to relieve you of the $72 that you paid for this.

Regards
    Brett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast