Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying Totenkopf ring?

Article about: Hello. This ring has been in my family since WW2 when my great uncle fought in Africa, Italy, and eventually all the way to the Huertgen Forest in Belgium where he was wounded and sent home.

HoveringCheesecake
    ?

Default Help identifying Totenkopf ring?

Hello. This ring has been in my family since WW2 when my great uncle fought in Africa, Italy, and eventually all the way to the Huertgen Forest in Belgium where he was wounded and sent home.

He was in the Army Rangers and brought back a bunch of war souvenirs, but unfortunately he passed away at a relatively young age in the 1960s and his son sold most of the stuff, including several other rings, guns, daggers, swords, etc.

Anyway, the ring has been passed to me and I was just curious as to its' origins. It isn't one of the rings that have the thick band, and there is no signature on the inside. It does have the 835 marking on the back of the skull, and the eyes appear to be inset rubies. It looks similar to several of the rings found here: WWII German Special Items

Is there any way to find out where he picked this up? Africa? Italy? Western Europe? Is it early or late war? I've done a little research and it appears that it may be (?) an early example? Here are a few pictures. My apologies for the poor quality, my camera isn't the greatest.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help identifying Totenkopf ring?   Help identifying Totenkopf ring?  

Attached Images Attached Images Help identifying Totenkopf ring? 
    Last edited by HoveringCheesecake; 05-17-2012 at 11:11 PM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Help identifying Totenkopf ring?

It's a German soldiers' ring that was worn in WW2 and could be purchased from a shop, just like any other item.

These were popular with troops and were fashionable at the time.

Whilst some individuals wore rings that can easily be identified as Luftwaffe as they bore a Luftwaffe eagle, or a map of the Crimea(Krim) or a palm tree and Afrika (North Africa) for the men who served there, the most popular design was probably the "skull" and there are more than a few different variations of this type of ring.

Please note that this ring is not an SS Totenkopf ring as this was an official award for this organisation and was individually named to each recipient.

The ring that you have posted, does look good to me, but sadly, it is impossible to date as the number to the reverse denotes the silver content only.
    The skull on this ring does look like a panzer skull and the ruby eyes would suggest that the wearer could have belonged to this branch of service as their colour of pipeing was pink but this is merely supposition on my part.

It is a nice thing, that is not particularly valueable and given the history that you have provided, I hope that you will look after it.