Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How to verify authenticity of SS-Ehrenring

Article about: Excellent news! Please- and that's please with a capitol "P"- let us know the results! Good luck!

Default Re: How to verify authenticity of SS-Ehrenring

It looks very good IMO, a textbook 40's pattern ring in A1 condition. Obviously it needs DB's appraisal to be 100% sure, but if it is an original (which I feel is likely) it is worth considerably more than $10,000, and with research as William has already stated, possibly even more then.

Makes me wonder whatever happened to the last one of these we saw that stood a good chance, owned by Will4me If I remember correctly..? He never came back to let us know how he got on, which was a shame considering the effort folks here went to to help him.....Such is life.

Good luck Bri, hopefully you may return here with some good news!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to verify authenticity of SS-Ehrenring
    P
    Many

Wagriff has put up a great post for you on this thing, and as he states, this would be an exciting ring to prove authentic. both with respect to the circumstances of its discovery and its condition.

It may seem inconvenient and perhaps expensive to send it off and pay for the Don Boyle paper, but there is no exaggerating the value of his opinion and certification of an item like this.

If I had discovered this ring as you did, the thing would have been sent yesterday.

Good luck!

And as big ned says, please do get back to the thread here with the result. Having that here is valuable to everyone.

Gonna see if I can get the wife to send him an E-mail tonight. ( It is, after all her ring.)

Is there a database somewhere of recipients of the honor rings?

We know: General Maddox served in the constabulary in Berlin after Pattons death. (Most likely source; the third army was notorious for collecting ....souvenirs ). Armored divisions from the third army liberated Buchenwald ( less likely, and kinda creepy). General Maddox played a key role in liberating the Spanish Riding School in Vienna ( Very unlikely. He was a cavalry/horse soldier in the regular army before the war. Heavily into anything to do with horses).

A possible contender as the rings recipient???

From the 'Fuhrerliste der Waffen-SS.'

Appel, Karl
    SS-Hauptsturmführer der Waffen-SS

Born: 25.08.1908 in München.

SS-Nr.: 36 190

[00.03.1945] Chef of the Stabskompanie / SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 20 / 9.SS-Panzer-Division "Hohenstaufen".

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Or possibly an even better contender! Shame his SS Nr. is missing though. Also could theoretically still be alive....

APPEL, Karl
    (1908- )
    SS-Obersturmbannführer / Leutnant d.R.:
    Born: 25. Aug. 1908.
    Died:
    NSDAP-Nr.: 25 068
    SS-Nr.:???
    Promotions:
    SS-OStubaf.: 9.10.1933
    Assignments:
    RSHA: (9.11.1944)
    Decorations & Awards:
    1939 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse
    Goldenes Parteiabzeichen
    Dienstauszeichnungnen der NSDAP in Silber und Bronze
    SS-Dienstauszeichnungen
    Totenkopfring der SS

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: Just noticed both of the above officers share the exact same birth date!! That's rather odd wouldn't you think?? They can't be the same guy can they?

I really like what I see here, my fingers are crossed for you, I'm hoping Don Boyle will confirm what looks to me to be one of the finest examples of an honor ring I have ever seen.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Or possibly an even better contender! Shame his SS Nr. is missing though. Also could theoretically still be alive....

APPEL, Karl
    (1908- )
    SS-Obersturmbannführer / Leutnant d.R.:
    Born: 25. Aug. 1908.
    Died:
    NSDAP-Nr.: 25 068
    SS-Nr.:???
    Promotions:
    SS-OStubaf.: 9.10.1933
    Assignments:
    RSHA: (9.11.1944)
    Decorations & Awards:
    1939 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse
    Goldenes Parteiabzeichen
    Dienstauszeichnungnen der NSDAP in Silber und Bronze
    SS-Dienstauszeichnungen
    Totenkopfring der SS

Regards, Ned.

EDIT: Just noticed both of the above officers share the exact same birth date!! That's rather odd wouldn't you think?? They can't be the same guy can they?

Thank you so much. We copied the information. Thank God the Germans were so quintessentially anal retentive and kept fastidious records of everything.

No problemo, I hope all works out for you guys!

E-mailed Don Boyle and received a reply. Talked to him on the phone to shore up some details and now the ring is on it's way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast