Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

i would like to show a nice dak ring

Article about: Very nice indeed!

Actually, I would imagine that the word is,indeed, "Derna" and refers to the port city in Eastern Libya that was the scene of a major battle between the occupying Italian troops and the Australians. And, soon afterwards, 2 battles between the then occupying German troops and the British. Being an Italian made ring, I doubt whether the Italians cared overly much for the precision writing being exact and accurate. In Libya, the official language is Arabic, but is, in actuality, more properly known as "Libyan Arabic" and is not the exact same as Arabic. Perhaps the town name of "Derna" is written in Libyan Arabic? Keep in mind that this ring was made and embossed with the town name written in 1941-over 76 years ago, and languages do subtly (or Not so subtly) change over the better part of a century's passing. Especially so in an area as remote and different as North Africa.

(Either way, I very much like this ring and wouldn't mind overly if it was in My collection! )
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement i would like to show a nice dak ring
    P
    Many

Hi william
    I agree that the word DERNA is referring to the german
    Forces taking over the city of derna libya in 1941.
    Just thought it was odd because the lettering on the ring is 100% farsi and not arabic. I was told by two people that know both arabic and farsi very well and are from the region. And in the farsi language, i was told that DERNA translated to english means "STRIKE"

I have a picture of the writing of what the Libyan Arabic writing would look like for the city of derna
    Still very different than the ring

I GUESS the italians didn't fact check there rings spelling! farsi...arabic...close enough!
    Lol

But i like the ring! very nice details on the shank!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture i would like to show a nice dak ring  
    Last edited by goodtimes; 03-27-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3