Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!

Article about: Hello all, I'm currently looking to purchase a ring and I came across this type on a US militaria website. I haven't seen it on any of the forums (although that could mean it's junk!!) but I

?

Default Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!

Hello all, I'm currently looking to purchase a ring and I came across this type on a US militaria website. I haven't seen it on any of the forums (although that could mean it's junk!!) but I'm sure I've seen this type in a period advert/article for canteen rings - just thought I'd check up first with the experts before I waste anymore of my time on it The inside of the ring states 'BERLIN 1939" and what looks like SS-style symbol (similar to allach logo?). The website states it's 800 silver, but I've asked for additional images to actually demonstrate this. I'm already expecting this to be no good, but hopefully I can learn something about this style of ring (to avoid it in the future!) and the minefield that is collecting Third Reich rings. All opinions welcomed, cheers skip01

Attachment 885001Attachment 885002Attachment 885003Attachment 885004Attachment 885005

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!
    P
    Many

Sorry,Skip..but the photos arent coming up. It's extremely doubtful,however, from the "engraving" of Berlin 1939 inside it,though. And if it has SS runes inside-absolutely not good.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!

- - ------- - -

Sorry guys, seems to be working now

Sorry, but as suspected from the description, this ring is a cast piece with an interior inscription that is actually part of the ring as it was made, rather than engraved in. It is a modern made ring that has been made to look old and worn. And, the runes inside are an instant thumbs down.

A few of the Bad signs:
    1. It is Cast (porous in appearance) rather than Stamped
    2. Inscription is cast into it as made,rather than engraved after
    3. SS runes should Never be inside a ring
    William

Hi, I am not seeing a silver mark and it looks as is there is a brass, bronze color showing through the silver color in areas. This being the case, I would have to say no good. I have seen this style ring, but it was made of gold and had small ruby eyes. Even the gold one I know of, IMO, is just a more expensive fantasy piece. I have seen sooo many convincing but fake or fantasy rings, it would have been like every man in the service of the NSDAP was Liberace and wore two or three rings on each finger!!!

?

Yes, a not well made cast copy of a period existing pattern.

Originals of this pattern are in my opinion cast too, but in much better quality.

And, not a only military related pattern although common with HJ..."the young lions".
    Originals are usually made from silver, are existing with and without gems in eyes and mouth in different colours and aren`t very expensive.

?

Thanks for the response guys, I'm glad I checked with the experts and confirmed my suspicions. Many thanks, skip01.

?

Here a period one from my Collection. Silver gold plated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lion Head Ring? - Opinions!  

These lion head rings are still a popular ring design being made even today.
    William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast