Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Nazi 1944 sliver RING SS ring??

Article about: I have had this for quite a while now, and I would really like some info on this if someone can help. It is a ring (silver??) that is dated 1944 and has the eagle/swastika on it, so I am ass

sspanzer37
    ?

Default Re: Nazi 1944 sliver RING SS ring??

Eagle is crude but I noticed this Finnish Volunteer ring is also crude. Waffen-SS

2. # ADS

?

Quote by sspanzer37 View Post
    Eagle is crude but I noticed this Finnish Volunteer ring is also crude. Waffen-SS
    Yeah that ring is also very crude, I bet what you got there is Trench art by a solder...... But like Cobra said it is a 50/50 chance. I would hold on to it and stash it away in your collection

sspanzer37
    ?

I have never seen that ring design even on repros. The best way I found to test a ring is to wear it for a day and see if your finger turns green. Unfortunately you can only do this after you bought it. Stay away from dealers in latvia! Just to risky.

?

Please ,your only hurting your collection if your useing Germanina for reference..
    The ring shown here is a postwar piece. It was made by the investment cast method. See that all the detail are soft, mushy, thats because the ring was made from wax first. The designs on front might have actually have been made with a toothpick on the wax. Once cast in silver or whatever material it displays this type of look....

It is just a handmade ring, maybe made during WWII, maybe yesterday - it is almost impossible to tell. Anyway, I have not ever seen such design and I have seen very many fakes in my life. So if You did not paid too much it can also easily be an original trench art ring.

Looks like a kid made it.

The engraving can be badly made but many trench art items are made by simple fellows like me and you. And with very primitive tools like nails etc. I have a small collection of German WWII trench (and POW) art and I can say bad engraving is very typical. If I was a guy who wants to make a fake ring and sell it for a top $ I'd rather engrave letters SS or something that sells better than a simple eagle with swastika.

?

Quote by G.B. View Post
    Please ,your only hurting your collection if your useing Germanina for reference..
    The ring shown here is a postwar piece. It was made by the investment cast method. See that all the detail are soft, mushy, thats because the ring was made from wax first. The designs on front might have actually have been made with a toothpick on the wax. Once cast in silver or whatever material it displays this type of look....
    Good advice , the Finnish ring and all the other pieces on that site are not a good example as most of them are all Fourth Reich pieces with no provenance just a bit of historical data added to enhance the sales pitch and fool the unwary
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

If this ring made by wartime, I´m very sure ,the make didnt survive the war for along time ....

If it is indeed investment cast, then it is almost certainly not "trench art". I would hold onto it just for the heck of it. My father had a ring made by his Chinese prisoners for him in Korea in 1953. It was made from a GI mess spoon and had Chinese characters which were symbols of friendship in gratitude to him for having treated them with kindness. It was a very crude ring, but meant alot to my father.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast