Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

For review: SS Honor Ring - Dated 30/08/40

Article about: OK gents. Helping out a friend here. Not my area but spent some time this morning combing through some threads. We have asked for better photos but for the moment, these are all we have. I a

MAP
    ?

Default For review: SS Honor Ring - Dated 30/08/40

OK gents. Helping out a friend here. Not my area but spent some time this morning combing through some threads.

We have asked for better photos but for the moment, these are all we have.

I am not keen on this ring for a number of reasons. But not being an expert, I want to hear from those you have more hands on experience. I don't want to "kill" it and turn out to be wrong.

From what I can see..., the big red flag is the date. It is not one of the accepted known dates. Also the month has a "0" which I have also read is a no no.

Also, can't tell much from the photos, but not sure if the skull is a separate piece and am also not sure if the writing is engraved, stamped/Cast.

These are the dates that I have read are acceptable. Not sure if this is correct

1933-1935
    24.XII.33

1936-1944

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement For review: SS Honor Ring - Dated 30/08/40
    P
    Many

Not a chance. The date alone kills it, and so does the abbreviated first name of the recipient.

Say, is that the same ring...:

SS Honor Ring, worth a look?

...or just one off the same assembly line?

MAP
    ?

Thanks Andreas. My thoughts confirmed. But also good to hear about the abbreviated name. That one I didn't know.

As far as being the same. I doubt it but I would agree that it's from the same assembly line somewhere in eastern Europe

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You're welcome, Michael.

All originals had the "S. lb. [surname] [date] H. Himmler" engraving; no abbreviated first name.

The "30.08.1940" date is wrong in several ways: In 1936, Himmler had already decreed that only four award dates were to be used: 20 April (Hitler's birthday), 21 June (Summer solstice), 9 November (anniversary of the 1923 Putsch) and 21 December (Winter solstice).
    Prior to that, a few other dates were used as well, but 30th August has no special significance in the Nazi calendar and had never been used.
    The month was spelled in Roman numerals on the earliest rings (24. XII. 1933 and 30. VI. 1934); after that, it was spelled in Arabic numerals, which never had the leading "0" for single-digit months ("20.4." and "30.6."; not "20.04." and "30.06.").

Apparently, both of these rings try to be the honor ring of Werner Lorenz.

MAP
    ?

Excellent info. I will pass this along

Dreadful fake..