Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ring question

Article about: Can anyone say if they have seen anything similar. I believe this belonged to a WWII German soldier. My apology for the location of the post. I couldn't find anything similar.

Default Ring question

Can anyone say if they have seen anything similar. I believe this belonged to a WWII German soldier. My apology for the location of the post. I couldn't find anything similar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ring question   Ring question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ring question
    P
    Many

Seen quite a few similar rings, could be a TR era "canteen" ring but it could be a 1960s onwards biker type ring. Hard to pin down!...

Gunny thanks for the response. When I got it the back was still packed with debris and it came with an ID tag that it was supposed to have been found with just north of Stalingrad. I try to buy the item and not the story though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ring question  

Moved to the correct forum for you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Could be a WW1 patriotic ring, but if you punch that into Google images there's a hell of a lot just like it on Ebay and iOffer as you'll see. Bit of a lottery I guess.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned thanks for the response. I did a search as you suggested and did find only one built the same with the hollow back and same .925 markings this one has. Of course it was advertised as a WWI patriotic ring but that doesn't mean much. I saved in a bag what I dug out of the back of the ring, I have a friend that works in the lab at Texas Tech. Maybe I can get him to analyze it. Wouldn't prove anything unless it has human DNA in it.

Thanks again.

Not worth the time IMO, take it for what it is. The 'debris' could
    have been stuck in there to make it look old and ground dug,
    although to me it looks quite modern. I do see what looks
    like '57' inside, whatever that may mean.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Did you say that it is marked ".925"? The silver mark of .925 was not used much at all in Europe until post World War Two. Until then, most all silver jewelry was marked 800,835,900 or possibly 950, but the 925 marks make it a fairly modern piece. Likely a copy of an early WWI Patriotic ring design-one that has been Extensively copied for decades now. The replica makers for many years mistakenly used 925 marked silver before realizing this, so now you will see more 835's and 800's, but almost never 925.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Steve I'm afraid my father was a jeweler for years and he cleaned and sized it for me. He believed it to be pre WWII Era but could offer little else. I would guess the number was much longer as the ring shows considerable wear as if it was worn for years. It was a US size 10 3/4 and I had it sized to a 11 1/2 for me. At one time the band had high spots all the way around that have been worn smooth almost but my father pointed them out under a loop.

Wageriff .925 refers to the silver content and dates back to the twelve century in Germany to be precise.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast