Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Ring question

Article about: Can anyone say if they have seen anything similar. I believe this belonged to a WWII German soldier. My apology for the location of the post. I couldn't find anything similar.

Quote by Logictox View Post
    Odal actually I would say it was made from a complex mold. The ring such as the one in your avatar is a inexpensive mold cast. All of these start out as wax in plaster. The more complex the openings and casting the more difficult to make. Here is a ring I made when my father bought his first jewelry store and I was playing with the process in 1975.
    Could you post a pic of the interior of this saddle ring please.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ring question
    P
    Many

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Could you post a pic of the interior of this saddle ring please.........?
    I made it during my rodeo days. Don't really care much for the gypsy or inbred comments.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ring question  

Not a bad job on the saddle. Personally, I would have foregone the turquoise stone, but that's just me.(I never did like that particular gem much-probably from seeing it too much when I was younger. It seemed like Everyone had to have Southwestern Silver jewelry with turquoise back then!).
    Looks like a heavy chunk of metal, for sure! I bet, though, the saddle horn got caught on your pants pocket alot! Did you antique black the background, or is it just patina'd from age by itself?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I made it during my rodeo days. Don't really care much for the gypsy or inbred comments.
    You've got the wrong end of the stick bud. I was refering specifically to a group of people in the U.K. who are known as 'Travellers'. I have not intended to slander cowboys or rodeo riders at all, indeed, I lived and worked on ranches briefly in Montana and Wyoming during the late 90's and found them to be some of the nicest, honest and hardworking folks i've ever met. Not many people from here in the U.K. can say that.

Happy trails, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The patina is from age. I have never done anything to it at all but wear it. Some of what you see may be the rouge used to polish it when I put it together. It was my mothers idea to use the turquoise. While my father enjoyed owning what turned out to be five jewelry stores before he finally gave it up my mother enjoyed building the jewelry end of it. While you are right this ring was a terrible problem with pockets I was pretty wild in my younger days and this was almost like being hit by a set of brass knuckles. I used to frequent a place called the red river saloon. Ah the joys of youth and being invincible.

Ned I don't have hold of a stick at all. I'm a lover in my old age and not a fighter. You treat me with respect and I will treat you with respect, fair enough?

Thanks. Is it not marked.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

I made it for myself and felt no need to mark it. If I remember it is almost pure silver, probably .950 but I can't remember for sure. I made several rings playing at the time with the new machines my father got. He had just picked up a kiln which is in my garage today. He got a new vacuum system to evacuate the molds and an inertia swing that forced the metal into the mold with inertia. I think much of the equipment is still in my garage, when he sold out his last store a few years back he dumped a large amount of stuff on me.

I had to look, if I decided to build a ring today I have the kiln, the vacuum pump and in the wooden box below the vacuum pump is the inertia swing.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ring question  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3