Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Honor Ring at Auction

Article about: I agree the swastika looks weird, it is the main concern after the cut out, but may have been distorted/ flattened through wear on the soft silver and perhaps crudely re chased, but then aga

Default SS Honor Ring at Auction

Hello. I am interested in bidding on this honor ring which is available at a local auction. I know these have been heavily faked but this is coming from the estate of someone that was a very serious collector so I guess there is a chance it's ok. These are the only three photos they provided. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

SS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at Auction

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honor Ring at Auction
    P
    Many

?

Any markings on the inside.
    I am not a "ring" collector, but i think it lacks the finer engravings. These were made with very good fine detail, but i dont see it here. Someone else who collects rings may have a better answer.
    Regards

The skull is too 'flat' in appearance, and is obviously cast into the ring and not a separate piece as it should be. Even with these limited pictures, it's plainly a bad one.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Patina looks fake

?

This ring NEEDS more pictures to begin to judge auth. It appears to be a 40's style by the shape of right rune and pig appearance to the skull, The right rune has a flaw at the apices that I am not familiar with from any that I've seen, This may be a scratch as it extends from the lateral margin of the triangle ,also picture does not display any of the pebble stoning to it's base,but that may be photo. The right swastika has the correct flaw to it's left arm. Skull is worn moderatedly with mod loss to bone tips . This wear pattern needs assessment with better pictures. Pig nose with wear seems ok. Wear through nose appears almost to the base. Proper Skull Attachment can not be judged with the photo's supplied as you need good vertical and lateral picture to properly judge correct attachment. Eye flaws are questionably present,but need better sharper pictures. Gross dimensions of the relationship of skull to band seem ok, but need dimensions and or hands on.When I first judge a ring I want to see general exterior appearance. Skull-eyes,nose teeth , leaves ,attachment of skull,size of skull. 2. If it's a 40's series , all triangles are vertical,bases cobble stoned, is the circle rune/thor round with flaw. How wide is the band. Are the correct flaws present. Then move to the interior and inspect the inscriptions-type of print etc. Is there a visual seam under the skull. Some times can't see it readily so place on the palm with a piece of white paper below to bring it out. If it passes all -I send it to Boyle for auth. and certification. This ring has some good features, however some questions. So if I were to consider it,1. MORE Pictures-all angles. 2 Good vertical top and bottom lateral pictures of skull . 3 Interior pictures of all scripting and center seam. 4. If all looks good a 2 week full money refund per Boyle cert. There is nothing wrong with it patina. All in all this is Not a discard and forget. Need to again see all angles , judge proper flaws, see inside. With the pictures presented would certainly have liked to see the left swastika vs the right shown.
    Docf

?

Here is a recent image taken at Wewelsburg, within the permanent exhibition area. Despite the images not being of sharp quality, there appears to be a stark difference with regards to the form of the skull - and in particular how it protrudes from the main ring itself, as Ned pointed out earlier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Honor Ring at Auction  

?

First there are 8 skull patterns to series III rings which are 1940-44 rings, then there are the early ones 34-37, then the transitional 38-39.. These pictures are absolutely terrible so would not even venture. Only thing that appears which is a gross observation is both these rings are rather for small fingers. .As stated rings are judged by multi critera. First thing I look at are skull dimentions, then those dimentions in relation to the band,eye orbit flaws usually present 40's , skull attachment,wear patterns, oak leaves, band dimensions,rune shape and there bases, flaw characteristics.etc How the skull is attached to the band. Interior very important, wrong award dates, first names used, scrip pattern , seam . You may not see a seam in the some early rings. They are there ,but the expertise and time spent preparing the ring . Fact that a ring is on exhibition does not guarantee auth. . Never been to H. Himmler castle. Get some adequate pictures and we can talk if you like. Incidently if you would like to see one of my TKR that is certified it is under new to site- my totenkopf.

?

Patently, presence in an exhibition does not guarantee authenticity - but the standard of the exhibit at Wewelsburg is outstanding. I added the images, despite the lack of quality, due to the fact that they still endorse the point made earlier concerning the manner in which the piece shown above appears to have been constructed. If you have a "certified" example, I suggest that you post images here - if you really wish to augment, that is.

?

For sure a cast fake!
    Fault lines and no seperate soldered on skull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The skull is too 'flat' in appearance, and is obviously cast into the ring and not a separate piece as it should be. Even with these limited pictures, it's plainly a bad one.

Regards, Ned.
    Quote by CARL88 View Post
    Here is a recent image taken at Wewelsburg, within the permanent exhibition area. Despite the images not being of sharp quality, there appears to be a stark difference with regards to the form of the skull - and in particular how it protrudes from the main ring itself, as Ned pointed out earlier.
    Quote by odal View Post

For sure a cast fake!
    Fault lines and no seperate soldered on skull.

If this ring was genuine, it will command a high price and any auction house would research and find these things out, provide better photos and more of them as it is within their interests to promote the piece and get as many interested parties to bid after all, they earn commission out of it.
    Why are they not able to show the critical inner inscription?
    If they can't or won't then you have your answer right there.

If you want a genuine Honour Ring, you will need to be prepared to spend an awful lot of time learning, researching and examining in the minutest detail the unique characteristics of these well faked, rare and valuable items.

Once you've done that you will the have to spend an awful lot of money.

You will have more chance of flying the Space Shuttle than happening across a genuine ring in a local auction.

Aside from that, the esteemed Gentlemen above are correct in their observations.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast