Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Honor Ring at Auction

Article about: I agree the swastika looks weird, it is the main concern after the cut out, but may have been distorted/ flattened through wear on the soft silver and perhaps crudely re chased, but then aga

Despite the protestations of wear, etc., this is Obviously a one piece ring. The bases of the bones have absolutely No delineation between the bones and the ring shank and the skull is likewise-no trace in the least of any seams and soldering. The Runes in the triangles should Not blend in with the borders of the triangles-despite any amount of wear and usage. Their is Always a gap between the rune edges and the borders-until the entire design is worn right down to the shank-at which point it's irrelevant. I would not accept this ring as a Gift, as it isn't even a decent replica.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honor Ring at Auction
    P
    Many

Thanks everyone. I sure got a lot of feedback. Truthfully, I've found some real gems at local auctions. Items I've paid $100 for that could be resold for $1,000+ so I'm always keeping my eyes open.

Absolutely-auctions can be a real gold mine-if a person knows what they are looking at! Chances are good the crowd doesn't know what it is. (Unfortunately, there almost Always seems to be some wise guy that Does, though, and will bid almost to 100% of it's value in that case...)
    William

God knows I can't afford to pay regular prices so I'm always on the hunt.

?

Quote by docf View Post
    First there are 8 skull patterns to series III rings which are 1940-44 rings, then there are the early ones 34-37, then the transitional 38-39...
    Hello
    I've been studying these rings for over 4yrs may not sound a great deal but I've put a lot of time in. Where is the documentation on all these tot variants if you don't mind I'm not aware of it.
    btw I agree with Ned and the gents here the posted example has only one good point....its a ring.

Happy 2014 Gents

Eric

?

Eric as you know if studying the TKR for 4 yrs. you can't make a decision on 3-4 poor incomplete pictures. We haven't even seen the entire band,or interior of this ring. There are a number of comments regarding it being a one piece ring, the skull has been cast as part of the ring etc. etc. There is in all honesty to say this unless you handle it ,look for interior seam, look at the top of the skull silver attachments,look at the eye socket fractures, then look at the the known defects of the rings etc.With looking at the pictures presented I saw 2 potential problems, the defect at 12 o'clock in the triangle ( which may have been a unknown mold fracture) and second the cross bridging on the right leaves. This cross bridging may be ok if the ring is so worn down on the right so as to bring this defect out. I am in no way saying this is an original ring. When I look at these rings, if they have any potential what so ever I compare it with my fake and my original Boyle certified . I do not believe this skull was casted with the ring as with my poor eyesight there appear to be the usual defects seen in the eye sockets which represent fractures in the silver where the jeweler prepared the back of the totenkopf, then silver soldered it to the ring band.
    I certainly would have enjoyed seeing more of this auction find as it would have been neat to see the interior and all runes etc. before passing final judgement. When I find a ring that I feel passes my criteria, my rule prior to purchase is a Boyle certification, unless the ring is a cheap find worth the risk of a few hundred dollars at most. Yes there are good fakes,but to tell you the truth I have never seen a super one that passes all critera . There are controversial ones, but I stay away from those also. My ring ventures have all been limited to the last series- the 40's rings.

Default local find

My father unexpectedly passed on 11/13 he had an authentic 1938 ring that was supposed to be an heirloom. The next day after his passing his house was robbed of his .5 ton safe. Containing me and my brothers inheritance. I am hopeless fully searching for an affordable authentic ring. "Good luck" I know. But I have stumbled upon something. 2 to be exact. Found them at a local war antiques dealer.

Very strange this one. Missing the rear ruins and the band is cut but has seam behind skullSS Honor Ring at Auction[ATTACH=CONFIG]657901[/ATTACHSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at Auction

Second is this one, no seam.. but skull is certainly forged seperately.
    SS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at AuctionSS Honor Ring at Auction

Any info on either would be very appreciated. I want to replace my dad's ring!
    Thank you,
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Honor Ring at Auction  

Save your money and buy an authentic ring. If you're hoping to find one "in the wild and cheap", it's highly unlikely you'll find anything other than deliberately made fakes-such as these 2.
    William

IMO the first one stands a chance, but better pics are needed. Unfortunately though, the missing double runes at the bottom render it to be of very little value at all. The second one is a very crude fake with a bogus bestowal date.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I wouldn't touch either one of them. There's way too much messing around with the swastika on the first, for one thing, and it's been strangely sliced through with signs of melting on the edges (lazer?)in any case. It would be like replacing a 2014 Mercedes with a 1983 Nissan...
    William

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast