Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Honor Ring Authentic?

Article about: Hi, I just received a SS Honor Ring as a gift. I don't know much about the ring. I was told it was authentic. I am not interested in selling the piece. I am going to keep it and pass it down

Thanks for your help. I appreciate the help. Glad to know exactly what I have, even if the news isn't favorable. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honor Ring Authentic?
    P
    Many

?

Two great things: 1) It was a gift so you did not outlay a bunch of cash on a fake 2) You are amongst some great people on this particular forum that really strive to bring the best knowledge to the table in a professional and thoughtful manner.

Happy Holidays Bud!

Quote by johnavery82 View Post
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate the help. Glad to know exactly what I have, even if the news isn't favorable. Thanks
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

These pictures are not better than the previous, so I will refrain from expressing their views

?

Quote by Evgeniy View Post
    These pictures are not better than the previous, so I will refrain from expressing their views
    I agree with Evgeniy - on this till now not so good pics i see no real faults - for me this ring still has a chance

Quote by odal View Post
    I agree with Evgeniy - on this till now not so good pics i see no real faults - for me this ring still has a chance
    My thoughts exactly. The engraving is, or appears to be, uncannily accurate; as do the runes and leaf definition too. As said, much better pic's are required taken in good light with a decent camera rather than a phone or Box Brownie as those so far. The devil is in the detail, and I see enough to have made me hold back from commenting so far, going as far to edit my earlier post to a mere "."!

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

not to be rude, but the ring looks like tarnished brass and not gold. Gold gets dirty but never tarnishes. Anyway i hope things turn out good for you. Mart

Quote by Martin C View Post
    not to be rude, but the ring looks like tarnished brass and not gold. Gold gets dirty but never tarnishes. Anyway i hope things turn out good for you. Mart
    Forget it being gold, it's almost certainly not. BUT there has been one or two examples that have shown up in the USA that were gold plated at the behest of their new GI owners, much the same as some war booty pistols were chromed or plated. These rings have been stripped back and returned to 'stock' condition by modern collectors. What I believe we're seeing here is, as you say Martin, just tarnish or cigarette tar staining as is seen on some daggers, medals and badges that have been on open display for years.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Looking at the second set of photos provided and clicking on them for additional magnification, I am still seeing things that are odd. The unusual striations in the metal above the date, for example, or the strange porosity of the interior that really should not be there in the extremely high grade of Silver these rings were manufactured of. Not to mention the unexplainable thickness as well and the chocolate brown patina. Personally, I am unable to explain any of these anomalies. Could this be a jeweler made copy for an occupation army officer? Perhaps using an original in hand for a model? After May of 45, the rules were gone and anyone could make such a thing in whatever fashion they pleased. The components are in the proper places, but the quality itself is not Otto Gahr and neither is the purity of the Silver. Yes, the date is among the acceptable known examples-it is in the later awarded range, but it is difficult to believe that the quality of this ring would have been acceptable for award of a high honor piece to an SS officer.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wagriff has layed it out why imo its a fake. but keep delveing who knows.

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Sorry John, but the SS rings were Only made in Silver. Himmler did not like Gold and felt that Silver was the "pure metal" for the SS. Gold, for some inexplicable reason by him, was regarded as a "Jewish metal". And, no -no Honor Ring awardee would have been allowed by Himmler to have one made by a jeweler in Gold. Otto Gahr made the Honor Rings and he did not make any pieces in Gold. It simply would not have been allowed. To my knowledge, there has Never been a Gold Honor Ring and this has been discussed and wondered about for Many decades. The quality and detailing of Gahr's work is unmistakable. The ring shown here is Very oddly thick-far thicker than the Honor Rings were. If it were Silver, the tarnish would be Black over time, and this one is more to the light brown-almost suggesting an artificial aging as seen on many of the rings coming out of Eastern Europe of late. This ring is definitely not an Otto Gahr firm manufactured ring. The quality is simply just not there.
    Hello William
    Otto Gahr surely didn't make this ring note the flat right angle edges a dealer states 89% sliver 10% copper is that correct? Forgive me Gents I'm not an expert, I've only owned one when I was a kid.

Regards
    Eric
    SS Honor Ring Authentic?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast