Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS honor ring Reum, opinions

Article about: A horrible "lost wax" casting.

CTN
    ?

Default SS honor ring Reum, opinions

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I would like to know what do you gentlemen think about an SS honor ring.

The engravings are: H. Himmler, RZ (inside a circle), the SS runes, S.L.B., Reum, 20.4.37

So far, doing my own research, I found out the following:

- it has the correct date;
    - the skull seems to be soldered to the ring;
    - judging from pictures of original rings, this one has some extra markings like the "SS" runes engraved and instead of " S. lb." it's "S.L.B.";
    - the skull is a bit large.

I tried to add very detailed pictures to make everyone's life easier.

Thank you for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS honor ring Reum, opinions   SS honor ring Reum, opinions  

SS honor ring Reum, opinions   SS honor ring Reum, opinions  

SS honor ring Reum, opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS honor ring Reum, opinions
    P
    Many

Not my area at all but logical speaking, the RZM stamp makes no sense being on a ring and I'm told it's a dead giveaway such an item is fake.

Aaiieeeee!!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CTN
    ?

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Not my area at all but logical speaking, the RZM stamp makes no sense being on a ring and I'm told it's a dead giveaway such an item is fake.
    Thanks for the quick answer. The SS runes and S.L.B. also look suspicious to me.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Aaiieeeee!!!!
    Care to elaborate on that? I'm not only trying to find out if it's a fake or not but also learn WHY it would be a fake.

Compared to originals this is a very poor fake/copy, the quality, the details, construction, bogus markings etc.... I hope you were just asking and have not bought it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Some fake items that are shown are of such a high quality that detailed analysis is required to debunk them, whilst others are so obviously bad that a simple is all that is needed, without long posts explaining why.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

That is about as crude as it gets.Even ole Snyder wouldn't have the nerve to have that on his site of garbage.

CTN
    ?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Compared to originals this is a very poor fake/copy, the quality, the details, construction, bogus markings etc.... I hope you were just asking and have not bought it.
    Fortunately not. The ring belongs to a coworker who doesn't speak English and was in doubt about its authenticity. I offered to do the detective work, ask the forums and do the photographing. It was a good learning experience.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Some fake items that are shown are of such a high quality that detailed analysis is required to debunk them, whilst others are so obviously bad that a simple is all that is needed, without long posts explaining why.
    I guess that makes sense but as a guy trying to learn it was a bit ambiguous.

Well there are so many things wrong it's difficult to know where to start but i'll indicate a few. The ring is a poorly cast fake, as can be seen by the porosity, the lack of detail and poor finishing complete with the noticable remains of the blue molding material that it was cast in. The 'engraving' is not that, it's cast in. Whilst the date is a correct one (for Hitlers birthday) the RZM logo and what appears to be a 800 silver stamp are spurious, and never found on genuine rings. The 'SS' runes and 'S.L.B.' are, as you correctly recognise in the same category, pure fantasy, and are never found on genuine rings. The list goes on, but one look is enough when you put this beside photo's of an original, as I think you know.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CTN
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Well there are so many things wrong it's difficult to know where to start but i'll indicate a few. The ring is a poorly cast fake, as can be seen by the porosity, the lack of detail and poor finishing complete with the noticable remains of the blue molding material that it was cast in. The 'engraving' is not that, it's cast in. Whilst the date is a correct one (for Hitlers birthday) the RZM logo and what appears to be a 800 silver stamp are spurious, and never found on genuine rings. The 'SS' runes and 'S.L.B.' are, as you correctly recognise in the same category, pure fantasy, and are never found on genuine rings. The list goes on, but one look is enough when you put this beside photo's of an original, as I think you know.

Regards, Ned.
    Thank you, this is the reply I was looking for. The metallurgical information is very interesting as this is the area where I would be most led into error.

Also, thanks to everyone for contributing and for the fast replies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast