Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.

Article about: eBay is NOT the place to go for this sort of thing. come on now. Latest developments: 1. CG got in touch with me after seeing my new photos and he now seems very interested. 2. There's a guy

?

Default Re: SS Honour Ring for sale in the classifieds.

Quote by mclenrd View Post
    Agreed Adrian and noted. I'm a little excited with the ring. My apologies. And thanks Ned. I agree the photo aren't great. Its an iPhone4s camera, so its hard to get in there and be steady. I'll try.
    I can understand the excitement, can you tell us whose name is engraved on the inside and also any background about how the ring was obtained? Have you got anymore information on your friend's Grandfather, where he got it from? Can you friend tell you anymore? These details are very important when tracing the history of such a piece.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honour Ring for discussion - named to 'Hahn'.
    P
    Many

Quote by mclenrd View Post
    I've contacted Don via his email. I do feel the comments were a little unwelcoming but totally understandable.

and please... if anybody else has anything constructive to add concerning this ring, by all means.
    Under the circumstances, that's the best thing to do. But let us know how you get on, good or bad, as this is rather interesting I think, and a chance for all to learn.

All the best mate.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I can understand the excitement, can you tell us whose name is engraved on the inside and also any background about how the ring was obtained? Have you got anymore information on your friend's Grandfather, where he got it from? Can you friend tell you anymore? These details are very important when tracing the history of such a piece.
    Looks like 'Hahn' and the date of the summer solstice 21.6.44 making it by day and year date, the commonest ring type out there above all others.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Here are the photos Ned suggested.

All he could tell me was his grandfather was in the war, and gave it to him. He said his grandfather got it off a dead German in Africa. I asked if he was sure about that because there were no SS in Africa (except the SD in Tunis) anyway... Stories over the years get embellished so who knows. There wasn't much he could tell me unfortunately. I've seen only one other ring with this date online while doing my research. The inscription inside looks good to me. Why does the date make it the commonest ring type out there above all others?

I should also note, Craig Gottlieb saw worse looking photos of this ring and said it was original.

?

You're right, there were no SS in Adrica and that's how a vet's story gets unravelled. Not being funny but there must've been an awful lot of looting going on as most vet stories are told with the 'taken from a dead German' line in them!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

With my limited knowledge I have to say I'm quite liking what I see so far.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    You're right, there were no SS in Adrica and that's how a vet's story gets unravelled. Not being funny but there must've been an awful lot of looting going on as most vet stories are told with the 'taken from a dead German' line in them!
    absolutely... I told the grandson, his grandfather could of traded it for a pack of smokes for all I know and said "I took it off a dead German". I have a good feeling about it though so I went for it.

Thanks for the new pic's. If I'm honest, the runes themselves all appear to be far too thick in appearance. Also, on 40's style rings the shapes that surround each rune ( 2 triangles, 1 hexagon, 1 diamond and the circle on the double rune) always appear longer in the vertical plane than in the horizontal of the earlier 30's and transitional type rings, these do not.

But it wouldn't be fair to write it off on my opinion. For instance, looking at the outside of the ring, it is severely pitted in places. Perhaps at sometime someone has put it on a polishing wheel to buff these out and improve the appearance. But whilst doing this has removed a lot of silver from the surrounding shapes and the runes themselves, dulling them and making them look 'off'. It's then had a lick of boot polish and that's that. The lack of detail on the acanthus leaves also indicates this as a possibility to me.

I would really consider letting Don Boyle take a look at this, and if you've gotta pay so be it. That's what I would do if it were me, but you may baulk at the $250 fee, I can't blame you for that. Try posting it on WAF and see what they say, this is a hard one IMO.

Regards, Ned.

I have very deprived knowledge on rings, however from a glance or so its looks good I guess. Actually one point to make, this is a little thin for a ring of this kind isn't it?

Look at the thickness of this example:

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast