Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Article about: Hi Mark, That's an interesting theory about them being die stamped, and does make alot of sense when you think about the slight differences in such things as the different thicknesses in the

Default re: SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Hi Will,

Thanks for the better pic's, I like it even more, the runes are of the correct appearance, especially the thick arm on the Hagel rune and the engraving looks dead right. Good luck with the Gottlieb authentication, I think you're in the money old lad!

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake
    P
    Many

Thank you to everyone who has looked at the pics, I have been Skeptcial about this ring because I have been Burned before in Collecting.
    I had a chance to pick this up for $200.00 and well have gambled on other things for more money and got burned.
    I just took a chance and said ok and bought it without knowing anything about it LOL.
    After I Bought it I started looking it up and was amazed at what real rings go for and heard all the horror stories about ones that were (Supposedly) brought back were actually fakes.
    I asked a local dealer what he thought and he said more are fakes than real and he has never held a real one so he could not let me know if it is real or not.
    so over the last month I have been doing research and saw all the post here.
    I saw how the rings were really well looked at here and how well you guys know your stuff.
    again thank you so much for the insights and after I get it looked at I will be selling it.

William

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Will,

Thanks for the better pic's, I like it even more, the runes are of the correct appearance, especially the thick arm on the Hagel rune and the engraving looks dead right. Good luck with the Gottlieb authentication, I think you're in the money old lad!

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards, Ned.

?

Out of curiosity, how did Gottlieb know about your ring? Has it been posted elsewhere?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

No I have not posted this anywhere else I was reading about who to send it to to get it authencated and his name came up so i sent Gottlieb an email on Sunday 4/15/2012 with some pictuers in it and he repiled Quickly.
    William

Quote by metallica fish View Post
    i know very little about pretty much anything on this site. but im pretty dam sure thats fake. sorry
    This type of comment is reckless, and if you don't know about something, it is best just to read the posts and learn from those who do know. I know nothing about these rings, and was reading the thread to learn a little about them. This comment struck a nerve. A negative comment like this one can have significant financial repercussions. I see it happen with helmets all the time. It can discourage members from starting threads, and deprive us of the opportunity to see and evaluate these historical treasures and learn from the experts. I just wish some restraint would be exercised before "half cocked" statements are posted. If someone is going to brand something a fake, that individual should have some back up for the statement. Just my opinion. Jim G.

?

it is hard to tell from the pictures. i'd like to see if the skull is seperate from the ring and solderd on. or is it cast as part of the ring. i would think that should be the first thing to look at. if the skull is not added seperatly, my understanding is it would not be good. just my thought.
    andrew

Quote by Andrew View Post
    it is hard to tell from the pictures. i'd like to see if the skull is seperate from the ring and solderd on. or is it cast as part of the ring. i would think that should be the first thing to look at. if the skull is not added seperatly, my understanding is it would not be good. just my thought.
    andrew
    Hi Andrew,

The skull on this example is seperate. If you look at the close up of the skull you can see in the eye sockets that there are indentations/craters. Although it has not been proved, it has been speculated that this occured during the assembly process and was not a deliberate part of the manufacturing process. Indeed, some original rings have completely hollow sockets through which the ring band can be seen. This is assumed as being caused by the seperate skull being filed down to fit the ring prior to soldering in the assembly process.

It is worth noting that this anomaly is not found in fake rings (yet).

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    This type of comment is reckless, and if you don't know about something, it is best just to read the posts and learn from those who do know. I know nothing about these rings, and was reading the thread to learn a little about them. This comment struck a nerve. A negative comment like this one can have significant financial repercussions. I see it happen with helmets all the time. It can discourage members from starting threads, and deprive us of the opportunity to see and evaluate these historical treasures and learn from the experts. I just wish some restraint would be exercised before "half cocked" statements are posted. If someone is going to brand something a fake, that individual should have some back up for the statement. Just my opinion. Jim G.
    Well put Jim , one of my pet hates is why do people give opinions then say" but wait for the experts as i don't realy know anything about it " !! This appears in nearly every thread on the forum
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Default Re: SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Thanks ned, i noticed the crater in the eye and something in the other. i did not know what to think of that. these rings can be tricky, and i hope it's owner has found a real treasure. unless i find one in a box of stuff, i dont think i'll ever own a real one, so my fake one will have to do for display.
    andrew

Default Re: SS Honour Ring: I just Got is it real or fake

Quote by will4me View Post
    No I have not posted this anywhere else I was reading about who to send it to to get it authencated and his name came up so i sent Gottlieb an email on Sunday 4/15/2012 with some pictuers in it and he repiled Quickly.
    William
    I would suggest also contacting someone by the name of Don Boyle. He is probably one of the most known for authenticating SS Honour rings.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast