Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

ss ring

Article about: dug out latvian 19ss and 122 kapitulation place..101 pr original....It is a SS ring?

?

Sorry - was a little buisy last time ;-)

Hm, taxing is always very hard. Here in germany a good period privat purchase skull in top mint condition, die struck, glas eyes, still patch of the manufacturer, i sold up to 250 € without problems.
    Cast, ground dug, it is real not easy. I would try to sell it at ebay or militaria321 and i think you get about 80-120.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss ring
    P
    Many

?

Oh - wow!
    Saw the auction now.
    Good luck in selling!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thanks friend
    Quote by odal View Post
    Oh - wow!
    Saw the auction now.
    Good luck in selling!!!

?

here 3 other variants of this pattern from my collection:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss ring  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

luft
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss ring   ss ring  

ss ring  

?

A common pattern. Usully a brass alloy, plated and enamel plate.
    They are with 1, 2 or three wings and in all colours of the german airforce.
    Most common colouras are yellow (flyers) and red (flak).

I think i have somewhere in my collection one or two of this pattern.
    Some of them have inside the band a stamp telling the material or the kind of plating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Odal...a question. From your posts on this thread, I would like to know. To your knowledge, Were there rings made by Casting in WWII era Europe? You speak about valuing a "ground dug cast ring" at 80-120 in Post #21. Are you saying that there Were rings being worn in WWII that were made by Casting? Many members here are of the impression that "cast = fake". Is this always true? How can there be excavated rings that are cast and still be genuine, in that case?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi William!

A very difficult question.
    One of the main questions that split sometimes the ring collectors
    For sure you know the discussion about manufacturing the honor ring.

Will try to explain my opinion or experiences in my not so good english.

I would say more than 80 % of the german made period rings are die strucked/pressed.
    Usually this is and was the quickest, cheapest and simplest method to manufacture a mass
    produced ring.
    Struck it, cut it to lenght, bend it, close seam, polishing, maybe plating - ready.
    Easy, cheap and economical.
    So most mass produced rings are made in this way.

But sometimes on some patterns this is not the easiest way. Some patterns have bands with open-work (sometimes very filigree), maybe the design is very three-dimensional .....so the pressing/strucking method doesn`t work.

So in my humble opinion some period patterns are of course made by casting.
    For example nearly all lionhead rings or some of this "skull and sperm" patterns" above.

But as told, this is only my opinion and experience in long collecting.
    Maybe some other collectors have other opinions.

Götz (odal)

- - ------- - -

Hello Götz, Thanks for the quick reply! That's pretty much my own opinion as well. So many collectors, I've noticed, look at a ring and immediately say "Cast fake!", but I've seen cast rings coming right out of the ground, so they can't All be cast fakes. Rings have always been a special interest of mine for a long time now and, indeed, the collectors market is being drowned in brand new "aged" cast rings as well as the flood of absurd brand new fantasy designs as well, but I've seen the totenkopf skull rings too that appeared to be cast but may Not have been also. Because a low grade silver content ring exhibits some porosity does not necessarily mean instantly that it's a cast fake. If it's been in the ground for 70 years or more, the PH of the soil makes for a big difference. It's sometimes difficult to remember that if a ring is 800 silver, then it's 1/5 part some Other metal such as tin, copper, or who knows what else, and it could well be this alloy that is showing the porosity from being buried rather than the silver itself being always suspect. You only have to look at a Sterling 925 salt shaker that has held salt for a lengthy time to see the effects of saline on the Silver or a pure silver shipwreck coin, so if an 800 or 830 piece has been buried in a soil, the effect could absolutely be called into question.

You're certainly right that the vast majority of silver wartime rings are made by stamping and soldering, but when you start running into cast skulls that have been soldered to size and have inner makers and silver content stampings, rings that are coming out of battlefield excavations, then it gets abit more tricky. It's been a worry in my mind that there are some genuine pieces being cast aside and possibly even disposed of after being called out as a "cast fake". It may well be time that some of these questionable pieces are given abit more scrutiny.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi William!

Hm.
    I am in the lucky situation to live here in germany where this rings were produced, sold and worn.
    So we have here good sources to get them.
    Worn by privat or otherwise from old factory and dealers stocks in mint condition.
    That happens still in this times.
    So we/I have here this items (most mass produced ones) in usually very good condition to study their manufacturing methods and this one are perfect ones for comparing too.
    Old adverts, dealers and manufacturers catalogs, pics in wearing do the rest to see what was in old times on the market here.

In dug rings i have a lack of experience.
    Here is not the usual place to find them, except the former battlefields and pow camps here in germany.
    But as i can say most of the here dug silver rings (noble metal as the name tells) havn`t serious signs of corrosion.

Otherwise i watched the market for dug rings over the years too.
    Most come from the battle fields of eastern europe. At the beginning there were a lot of nice ones, but this ones get rarer and rarer. Meanwhile more and more worse rings appear, supposedly dug, but most this is only diguise for bad lost wax cast rings to explain their pittings.
    Your example with this silver salt shaker is not the badest, but salt and acid are not the usual main parts of normal ground and earth.
    And if you want to age a silver item synthetic, for example with sligthly sulfur acid, you will see it turns dark, gets patina, oxidizes, but gets no real pittings and scars.

In my opinion pittings on a silver item aren`t explainable with laying in normal ground - no matter how long.

But again only my opinion, maybe there are some experienced diggers here that can give their fife cent to this theme.

Götz

ps: here is a very impressive thread with a lot of examples to study ground dug items of all materials:

Battlefields in North Karelia( SS-Nord Division)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3