MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS ring and wedding ring

Article about: Hi guys! Here is what i received this morning! i guess i was lucky this time those are private purchase rings (at very good price), everything looks good to me but as a beginner i need your

Default Re: SS ring and wedding ring

hello again!

to "gizmo" yes i'm pleasantly surprised ^^ not angry at all

to "big ned":
    i'm open minded and i'll never go in "deny mode" i just needed solids proofs as the one you gave me for the wedding ring! i'm ok with that no problem,i purchase those rings for an hundred bucks so even if they are fake it's still a good price ^^ because they are quality repros indeed ... as a beginner i'm here at first to learn from experts !

thank you kilomikesierra1960 for your advises in taking pictures i'll manage to take better pictures of those and post them
    it still can be usefull to help other peoples to identify fakes wich are unfortunately legions ^^

i put the link again for the second ss ring German Militaria Collectables Local

i found pictures of the other ss ring , i know it's not the most reliable place ^^ here Schutzstaffel: The SS

more comment are welcome to know where they come from and who made them i think it still intereting to know

again i purchase thee from a private seller not in those classifieds these were for me only proof of their "originiality"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS ring and wedding ring
    P
    Many

to "big ned":
    i'm open minded and i'll never go in "deny mode" i just needed solids proofs as the one you gave me for the wedding ring! i'm ok with that no problem,i purchase those rings for an hundred bucks so even if they are fake it's still a good price ^^ because they are quality repros indeed ... as a beginner i'm here at first to learn from experts !

Hi Darkmyst,

Not particularly a good buy. They are worth only scrap value, which is currently around 75 U.S. cents per gramme. Looking at the above rings I would estimate them at between 5 and 15 grammes in weight. And that's assuming that they really are the quality of silver they are stamped as, which under the circumstances is moot.

A serious collector would never have any truck with these items i'm afraid.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So it's decided i'll never buy rings again! definitely a minefield...
    thanks again for the enlightments to everyone
    hope in future, i'll improve my skills in collecting german militaria
    best regards

Quote by darkmyst View Post
    So it's decided i'll never buy rings again! definitely a minefield...
    thanks again for the enlightments to everyone
    hope in future, i'll improve my skills in collecting german militaria
    best regards
    Don't worry about these "expert's"(excluding few...)study your ring's learn and as you said enjoy or something like that...i got 3 FAKE nazi ring's,SO WHAT!?! Learning right? do just that,Good luck,
    darrin AKA derwood58

The wedding ring has a huge flaw that no true jeweller
    or artisan would ever make. The silver content stamp
    is on the outside.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

The wedding ring is, as has been said, a fairly low quality fake of a genuine known type. I won't rehash the reasons why I say this, as they have already been pretty clearly stated by the others above. The other 2 are almost certainly Eastern European fakes as well. They are part of a flood in the last several years of fakes coming out of the Baltics in particular. I would view it as Extremely bad that they were "found" in the same location as the "wedding ring". Always a rule of thumb, when things are found together and one is a glaring fake, then the other items are very likely not good as well. The source you list for showing another such piece-the second ring, "German Militaria Collectables" has many good pieces in it and, unfortunately many bad pieces and does not know German rings at all, as they describe one SS ring as having been made by Deschler, which, of course, never made such things. Among other sad fakes, they offer a "Luftwaffe Gegen Uber Engeland" ring which is one of the earliest known fake rings on the market. Simply by being on this website, this should be taken as a red flag. And, as for Germania International...well....a quick search on this forum will tell you plenty about That site.

The 2nd and 3rd rings are better Made than the wedding ring, but are not genuine. The SS Runes and their usage were Strictly regulated by Himmler's orders and these orders were certainly not to be taken lightly. The fakers are getting better with pre-aging appearances and with their details-they no longer stamp RZM in their rings, for example and they always make sure to use the proper silver content now(or, at least Stamp the proper content number on them-it could well be rubbish silver, but at least the Stamp says it is right!), but many of their designs are simply ones that never existed to begin with. If SS men wanted a ring to wear, they generally went with the skull head designs-or even the WestWall designs. If an SS man was spotted by his officers wearing a flashy silver ring with huge SS runes on it, he would Not have had a good day afterwards. This is not to say that you will Never see runes on a ring-on occasion, men would Field make trench art rings with them on it, but, as always, this was not a good idea if you had a stick up his butt for an officer and simply wasn't worth the trouble and risk.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

That's a tad bit drastic to say you will never buy a ring again! Do you know how long members in here study various threads, tepid hours, books, hands on inspection, and good ole pain staking research to find original pieces? If one puts in the time and studies up, then original pieces will show up for you. And yes, they are expensive, investment grade. Keep that in mind. Sure, it is all in the collector's dreams to find that rare gem for a couple bucks. But does that happen very often? I would say no. So, yeah, take some time to learn, observe, ask questions, and finally... save your money for the real deals. Never feel bashful about asking questions in this forum. These guys are solid. Until then, pal, good luck:

SS ring and wedding ring

?

Quote by darkmyst View Post
    heven if they are fake it's still a good price ^^ because they are quality repros indeed
    I don't know how anyone quantifies a good price for a fake nor how anyone can justify a spending money on 'quality repros'.

A repro is a repro is a repro.......

They won't be original no matter how good quality they are.

The first thing to learn as a beginner would be to ask before you part with your cash. If you had, you would still have a hundred bucks in your pocket to put towards original artifacts.

The other thing to do would be to ask for reliable places to buy militaria. Germania International does not fill me with confidence.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi guys ,
    Thank you again for your enlightments,usefull indeed!
    Don't worry i'll buy rings again but with more research ,with help of more experienced collector and i'll post them before buying them
    Collecting brings his amounts of mistakes and so are these 3 rings , that will encourages me to learn more and more and one day i'll own a genuine one (the quest will take time) !
    remember the time you started to collect and remember ,i guess,you did mistakes too !
    Again thank you for all the explanation that will helps a lot!
    best regards
    Thai

Hi Darkmyst,

I wouldn't let this get you down too much. Many members here have made similar errors myself included and have lost far more on the items than you seem to have. Unfortunatly being defrauded with fakes is now part of collecting militaria especially TR. Treat this as a good learning exercise and learn all you can about the items you wish to buy, post pictures here for opinions prior to buying and you will hopefully keep the fraudsters mostly at a distance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast